NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking the center dash off to fix the fan switch. I didn't have the radio removal tool so I was using saw blades to try to release the radio. Then there was this noise like a servo moving, and the flashing red light on the radio went off. After that, I'm not getting anything from the radio. It's not a code issue because it is not even coming on at all. I checked the fuse on the radio itself and it is good.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was taking the center dash off to fix the fan switch. I didn't have the radio removal tool so I was using saw blades to try to release the radio. Then there was this noise like a servo moving, and the flashing red light on the radio went off. After that, I'm not getting anything from the radio. It's not a code issue because it is not even coming on at all. I checked the fuse on the radio itself and it is good.

Any thoughts?

The slots for the radio keys are open to the circuitry of the radio itself so you could have shorted inside the radio. If you checked the 10amp fuse on the radio I am presuming you got the unit out, you may have dislodged one of the pins from the multiplug.

I would check the fuses on the car, test the multiplug for power with both ign off and ign on and that it has earth. Not sure about these but some older radios took the earth from the arial so make sure it is connected.

If all these are OK then the radio is at fault.

A Genuine VW reconditioned radio will set you back about €100.00 where as a head unit with AUX/USB for iPod and MP3 will be as little as €60.00. Also factor in the cost of the facia and arial adaptor and you are looking at the same as a VW one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VWBubba, thanks. I checked both the fuse on the back of the radio and fuse #42 in the fuse panel. They are both good. Can you give me more info on how to check the multiplug? Are you talking about the power plug that comes in from the car, or the plug in the back of the radio?

·
Registered
153 Posts
VWBubba, thanks. I checked both the fuse on the back of the radio and fuse #42 in the fuse panel. They are both good. Can you give me more info on how to check the multiplug? Are you talking about the power plug that comes in from the car, or the plug in the back of the radio?
No Problem :)

As you are not looking for voltage/Amps a simple 12v tester will do the job, failing that a 12v bulb with two wires attached.

The power plug which is the one on the bottom left of the radio will contain:

(As you look directly at it)
Negative - Bottom left
Ign Live - Top Left (Live with Ign on)
Permanent Live - Second left (should be live)

Middle plug is speakers
Top plug is CD Changer and other types of fancy crap.

Speaker socket will have 8 (4 pairs) if you have a 4 speaker system or 4 (2 pairs) if a two speaker system.

You may also have a plug for the CD changer if fitted do not test this.

Simply ground one wire on the tester or bulb and then insert the probe or other wire into the vehicle power socket that connects to the radio. Turn on the ign and check again, if all is good you should find a second live (Ign Live), once you have this, turn off the ign, remove the key and the light/tester should go off. If you have both of these, the fault is 100% in the radio.

If you use one end of the tester/bulb in the socket ground and get nothing, try grounding it another metal part of the vehicle as you may have a ground fault.

Do not connect to the speaker socket as this will do you no good at all and putting a charge down it may damage your speakers.

If all tests as it should, you are back to the radio fault

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on and if you need more advice, please ask.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Your connection diagram is different to ours so this may help:

KL31 - Ground
KL58 - Illumination feed
S - S Kont
We have an extra one here for MUTE

KL30 - Ign Live
Safe - Continues Live
XLN - K Bus
ALM - GA

Speaker plug is self explanatory, Rear Left, Front Left, Front Right and Rear Right.

For CD A/C reading top to bottom, left to right:

AF-R
Switched +
Data-Out
Com
Clock
AF-L
Ign Live
Data - In.

For EXT DISP:

REM-C
CLOCK
-TEL
DATA
ENA
+TEL

For EXT -AMP

RF
RR
SWITCHED +
COM
LF
LR

I hope this helps.

I also notice that is a VW Exchange unit, this is also an option for El ZORRO

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good question. My connectors look like the diagram above. A black connector at the bottom (But I think mine has 8 pins), a brown connector in the middle (also 8 pins), and three small connectors that clip into each other at the top. My unit is a Monsoon, with CD player and pre-wired for satellite radio (which I won't pay for)

I'm assuming some of the top connectors are for things like satellite, CD, and aux input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts