NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...I purchased a little bug about a week ago from someone on craigslist and Im in love with my little bug (2000 2.0 atm). The problem is that I took it for the emission inspection to be able to register the car and it did not pass since the check engine light did not come one when they turned the switch. I came back home and have my husband inspect the cluster (part #1C0920901)and we found out that those micro led lights have been remove from the check engine and the abs :( I call the dealer to see if they have the cluster and they told me it has to be special ordered for $575!!! I thought about getting one at the salvage yard but I have read about how they need to be re-programmed ...and other issues like not being able to update the miles, etc... My question is..Is it possible to remove the chip that contain the car info (miles, key code ) from my current cluster from the green board and solder it onto a compatible board from the salvage yard? would that make the replacement act like my old one once everything is put together and install back in the car? My other option is to ship it to this company that can rebuild them but i am trying to find the most cost efficient way to do this. I was not expecting to be spending money this soon... If you guys know about any other solution for this issue, please let me know. Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the best place to learn about the beetle. Hope to see more from you around here!

I wish I had an answer for you but hopefully you'll get an answer soon. You might want to post this in the technical area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 02silver glad to be here and learn more about my car ... Right now trying to get the situation with the check engine light taken care of so I can enjoy it even more ...lesson learned...always take a mechanic before purchasing a car .. Especially from craigslist !

·
Super Moderator
14,769 Posts
Have Auto Zone plug your car in, and read the codes. It may be something that needs attention.

Welcome to the Org, and Welcome to the New Beetle. When you get it ironed out, you will have so much fun. Trust me.

Oh, and, I bought my newest one from CL too. Remember, they were not brand new..... :eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks dnyed! Looking forward to it ! And you're right I know they are not brand new but the fact someone went through all the trouble of taking the cluster apart to intentionally remove the led for the check engine light and airbag really upsets me . I didn't pay attention when I first turned the key ... Didn't notice the ck engine did not come on .. Was so excited about finally getting my little bug that didn't cross my mind . First time I took it for the emission test , 3 codes came up and I failed. It was the maf that at the same time was trigering the o2 and temperature sensors .. Got the maf replaced and took care of the other 2 codes .. But the second time I went to get re-inspected it passed everything except the visual inspection of the check engine light .. So I failed again .. That's when we decided to pull the cluster apart and realized that the previous owner had popped the led lights out for the check engine light and airbag . So now the dealer told me they can not program another used cluster from the salvage yard because vw stopped manufacturing that part and they have gotten rid of the codes that they use to program it .. So I was left with the option of having to special order it for $575 !!! Then my brother suggested that I should try to get an used one and have a computer/electronic guy that we know find the main chip on the board of the cluster currently in my car that stores the info like mileage , code for the key , etc and pull it out and solder it onto the used cluster board and in theory once plugged to the car should display the correct information ... But I am not sure if that info is actually stored in the cluster itself or somewhere in the car computer... So I was hoping to read from someone who had to deal with this issue. Another option is to pull the cluster out and ship it to a company in Indiana that rebuilds them and they will install the led lights that are missing but the turn around can be anywhere from 4 to 7 days . And they are not telling me how much it will cost me until they get a chance to inspect it. So I am really trying to find a way to get this taken care if before my 30 days to register my car is up . Then I won't be able to drive it :( kinda complicated huh?? :) oh well I'm just learning as I go ..

·
Super Moderator
14,769 Posts
Oh, I hear you. When I moved back to Oregon, I could not get my car to pass DEQ, to save my life. Had to have an O2 sensor replaced, and when the light finally went off, I was off and running to the test facility. It finally passed, (I high-fived the tester!), and I took my certificate to the DMV to register. I put the plates on, out in the parking lot, and as I departed the DMV lot, "bing", the CEL popped back on. I just laughed, and swore at it...... :lol:

I know what I need, but it will have to wait. Good luck to you!

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
They can be swapped easily enough. All you need is the software coding from the old one to put it into the new one.

Plenty of people do it with swapping clusters between different cars, it's not that hard. Clusters can be had for not a lot of money from breakers, eBay etc.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
X2 Try carpart.com ,enter your vehicles information and search by distance using your zip code.
Just note the miles of your original cluster, and keep track of how many it supposed to have until you can get your mileage corrected. my airbags.com will do mileage correction for 99 dollars, you could probably solder in the 2 LED lights if that's all you need, and your handy with the solder sucker and iron. My question is what did they use to put in the hole where the LED's went? From my experience you cannot just leave an open circuit there, don't ask me how I know. :rolleyes:
Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
board1.jpg

board2.jpg

board3.jpg

Hi PRM..:) and thanks for the websites I will check them out...I am including pictures of the board so you can see the lights that are missing. I do not know how the rest of them continue to work, but as you can see on the left hand corner how they are missing, look like someone took a screwdriver to them and popped them off...:p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am calling myairbags.com...thanks so much, they have one in Winder, GA, not too far!! thanks so much!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update : Cluster Problem fixed!!!

Hello guys !
So I called around electronic repair shops from the area and I found one locally that fixes ps3 , Xbox , cell phones , laptops etc... One of the techs told me he had replaced all led lights on a instrument panel for his Honda and he knew how to do it !!! So I took the cluster to him , he will get the lights tomorrow and cold solder then onto the board so I should be good to go! All for $85 . It was 50 but if I wanted express service they asked for 35 more which is not bad considering that it will be done tomorrow and I get to use the same cluster instead of buying a used one and having to spend another $100 plus to get it programmed by vw . So if any if you experience problems with led lights with your cluster .. Check with the electronic repair shops in your area .. You will save time and money ! I will post a picture of my instrument panel once I put it back on tomorrow !

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,769 Posts
I hope it does the trick! :crossesfingers:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

Hello guys, just want to let you know that my car is now registered, and the issue with the CEL was resolved. we did not have to order anything and it took 10 minutes. The tech noticed that some of the LED lights came in "pairs" as you can see from the pictures I posted, so he removed one LED from the ones that had 2, and solder them onto the board where my check engine light and airbag indicator was and BOOM! problem solved. It all cost me $85, not bad considering that VW wanted to charge me $587 to rebuild the cluster. Thank you guys again for helping me through this experience :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts