NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Two weeks ago I had an oil change. A couple of days later I noticed my coolant was leaking. I was told that the heater core line had a hole in it. So I had to buy and have installed the heater core line/hose assembly. Today when I started her up she shook so much and the noise she made was bad. The engine light flashed on and off and there was a burning smell. I decided to back out of my driveway and had little power. I checked all the fluids and they are fine. A neighbor who has a jetta said my car sounded like his when his turbo bearing went.
Any ideas on what it could be? Could any of this be related to maybe someone not knowing what he was doing? Oil change, installation of heater core line ?
How would I know if it is just the bearing or the whole turbo? Would there have been other symptoms of the turbo going or does it just go? I have on the ODOM 223819.
I live in Canada so I am wondering how much it would cost to get this replaced? Any ideas, rough estimates?
I probably should not drive while it is like this:(
Thanks everyone,
Brandy

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
First things first, get the codes read with an OBDII reader. Many auto parts stores loan the tools for free.

Also read the first link below in my signature.

Codes are clues, but you likely had misfiring if the CEL/SES was blinking?

Vacuum leaks are very common and there is an electric air pump that runs for the first 90 seconds then can kick on and off a few more times, these make a lot of noise when the pump bearings go bad. It is called a SAP pump or Secondary Air Pump and it is electric and mounted near the front of the engine.

Vacuum leaks can be from hoses, or other plastic parts under the hood that have broken or deteriorate due the high under hood heat.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
intercooler

I would remove the intecooler piping and see if there is accessive oil in there and if so your turbo could be leaking or atleast confirm that it's not the problem. If it was shaking so bad than remove the plugs and see how they were burning the mix of gas/air.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Thanks for the info. I am not a techy so I have no idea where the intercooler piping is or the plugs. I am assuming they are under the engine hood.
Do you know if there would of been a warning before any of this happening like the engine light coming on? The engine light came on, flashing this morning with the shaking. I dont have a code reader so I am stuck until I can take it to VW. After I had the coolant assembly done the car ran fine, no issues until starting her up this morning.
Thanks again for your reply
BrandyD

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
issues with my beetle

I would remove the intecooler piping and see if there is accessive oil in there and if so your turbo could be leaking or atleast confirm that it's not the problem. If it was shaking so bad than remove the plugs and see how they were burning the mix of gas/air.
First things first, get the codes read with an OBDII reader. Many auto parts stores loan the tools for free.

Also read the first link below in my signature.

Codes are clues, but you likely had misfiring if the CEL/SES was blinking?

Vacuum leaks are very common and there is an electric air pump that runs for the first 90 seconds then can kick on and off a few more times, these make a lot of noise when the pump bearings go bad. It is called a SAP pump or Secondary Air Pump and it is electric and mounted near the front of the engine.

Vacuum leaks can be from hoses, or other plastic parts under the hood that have broken or deteriorate due the high under hood heat.
Hi
Thank you for your information. I am not sure I understand all of what you sent me. I will take my car to VW to be coded. What was misfiring? spark plugs? The engine light came on and blinked when I started it up this morning. I had no issues with the car until this morning. She ran well no engine light on, no shaking, etc. How can a car fall apart overnight?
I had a new SAP in last yr. What do you think could of caused the burning?
Brandy

·
Registered
14,068 Posts
Sounds like; possibly some of your coil packs maybe failing. Some cars; had these replaced under warranty/recall for free (you might call your local dealer; see if this has been done); let us know what the dealer says. You can get your car scanned; at a local auto parts store, typically, for free.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
issues with my beetle

Thanks for your reply.
I went out and started up my car this morning. It did the same thing, engine shaking and funny noise. When I put my foot down on the gas, the engine stopped shaking and the noise was gone. I did this a couple of times and the same happened. So it seems that lower rpms cause the engine shaking and noise and higher do not. What could cause this? Any ideas?
Thanks
Brandy

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Could coolant have gotten into the head gasket?
Possibly, but has this engine been overheated? If not, do not worry about this yet.

You did not indicate where you live, city & state, it is important. If you live in the state of CA you will not likely be able to get you codes scanned at a parts store.

Most cold start problems are due to crankcase and/or intake leaks from bad rubber parts, hoses or check valves that are cracked.

HIGHLY suggest you purchase your own scan tool. $30 will get you started if you have an Android phone, tablet or an iPhone, iPad or iTouch. Even a Windows laptop.

You can spend a bit more to get a stand alone scan tool for a bit more.

You will save the money you spend on this tool the first time you use it and figure out a problem.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
techy

Hi Thanks for the info. I am not a techy so I have no idea where the intercooler piping is or the plugs. I am assuming they are under the engine hood.
Do you know if there would of been a warning before any of this happening like the engine light coming on? The engine light came on, flashing this morning with the shaking. I dont have a code reader so I am stuck until I can take it to VW. After I had the coolant assembly done the car ran fine, no issues until starting her up this morning.
BrandyD
I'm not a Techy either but had to become one real quick after I bought this car..LOL :p The flashing light usually means misfires so I would scan it for codes and then plan on replacing some coil packs. Their only 20-30 bucks online and replace them yourself to save money. If you lived in Houston I would do them for ya, their that easy to replace. 10 minute job

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Possibly, but has this engine been overheated? If not, do not worry about this yet.

You did not indicate where you live, city & state, it is important. If you live in the state of CA you will not likely be able to get you codes scanned at a parts store.

Most cold start problems are due to crankcase and/or intake leaks from bad rubber parts, hoses or check valves that are cracked.

HIGHLY suggest you purchase your own scan tool. $30 will get you started if you have an Android phone, tablet or an iPhone, iPad or iTouch. Even a Windows laptop.

You can spend a bit more to get a stand alone scan tool for a bit more.

You will save the money you spend on this tool the first time you use it and figure out a problem.
Thanks for the info.
I live in Ontario Canada.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Beetle blues

I'm not a Techy either but had to become one real quick after I bought this car..LOL :p The flashing light usually means misfires so I would scan it for codes and then plan on replacing some coil packs. Their only 20-30 bucks online and replace them yourself to save money. If you lived in Houston I would do them for ya, their that easy to replace. 10 minute job
LoL Thank you! I live in Ontario, Canada! It would be a long tow to Houston! Though I've never been to Texas, hmmm. LOL.
Where do you find out all this mechanical info? Is it online? I wouldn't even know where to look for the coil packs.
Ive had no real trouble with this car until my last oil change! I will get it scanned and hopefully sorted out n buzzing round again! :)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
mechanical stuff

I read it online and mostly here on newbeetle.org great bunch of good folks here always willing to help out our fellow newbeetle members. Good luck and welcome to new beetle.org :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you and I will keep checking this site out.
Just had my beetle scanned, and it was the ignition coils ! $ 300.00 and hopefully I'll have her back tomorrow morning! Geez, I better start figuring out this stuff for myself!
Thanks to everyone who replied!
Brandy D

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
recall

Thank you and I will keep checking this site out.
Just had my beetle scanned, and it was the ignition coils ! $ 300.00 and hopefully I'll have her back tomorrow morning! Geez, I better start figuring out this stuff for myself!
Thanks to everyone who replied!
Brandy D
Hey there was a recall on those coil packs a few years back you might want to search for that thread here. I know the Dealer should replace those for free if your car is part of the recall, you might want to ask the dealer about that. good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts