VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing both LCAs, passenger side was easy. Driver side - NOT. Can't get the front bolt out as it hits the Trans Pan. I removed the bolts holding the Dogbone in and pushed the engine forward - no joy, bolt is too long and I am fearful of pushing the engine too far. I have seen some threads where folks disconnected the drivers side engine mount and jacked up that side of the engine.

Is there a simple way? Or failing that does anyone know the best way to get to the drivers side engine mount bolts without disassembling the battery housing and the air cleaner?

TIA.

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Figured it out.

1.Place a jack (with a board on top) under the transmission pan - be sure the board wont block the bolt on the LCA.
2. Remove air Box.
3. Remove the engine mount bracket on the driver's side.
4. Jack up the engine until the bolt clears.
5. Remove the bolt.
6. Replace the LCA.
7. Install new Bolt and torque to specs.
8. Re-install the Engine Mount
9. Re-install the Air Box
10. Finish the LCA install under the car.

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NO alas, I was in a rush so I just stacked up a few hardwood boards and gave it a go.:) Problem is now that ever since I did the repair I get a P0171 code. I am somewhat certain it is a vacuum line issue as I also don't have any brakes at idle/slow speed. Replacing most of the factory hoses this weekend to see if I can sort it out.:confused:

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the problem - it was hose that was disconnected below the brake booster. Repaired the end and cleared the code - hasn't returned, the brakes work and the idle is smooth. So I am certain the fixed the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts