NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1.8l manual transmission car that wont start :confused:I turn the key and i can hear clicks the lights work just fine but engine wont turn. The only way to start it is by push-staring. Got a new battery, new starter and good alternator. A friend told me it was a clutch relay (im not sure). It stays on and i can drive it until i turn it off, then it wont turn on again. when the new battery was put in, it would turn on fine for 3 days but its back to not turning on. I also recently found that the metal thingy under the seats stays on (seat heaters) so i took the fuse out?.. :( what is wrong with the car

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You may have a new battery, and it may or may not be good (wouldn't be the first time a new one was bad). The car runs once you kick-start it because it is running off the alternator. However, it sounds as if you have dirty/corroded battery connection, probably on the positive terminal. You need to remove and clean then good, both the connector on the cables and the terminals on the battery. I have had this problem many times with my GMs. If this doesn't work, kick-start it and take it to the Corner Parts Store (Advanced is good if you have one), explain what is happening, and have them check the battery. It also could be the starter (again, regardless of the fact it is new), if that was done at a shop, have them check it, the Corner Parts Store can't. Proper testing requires removal and bench testing. I feel certain it is not electonics, but component or electrical related.

Keep us posted!

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found it

there was two shorts in the system :). 1 the heater under the seats always on 2. both windows (sunroof included), fuel gauge, interior lights. I haven't found exactly where but ill keep looking :(

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
How did you determine there are shorts in these two circuits, a continuity to ground test of each? Or were there DTCs thrown?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts