·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, its either the brakes or the engine stalled at low
speeds. It has only happened 3 times but when it happened, i
lost total power to the brakes. I couldnt depress the brakes to
stop at the lights! =( i had to reach for my handbrake. becos it
doesnt happen all the time, im caught off guard all the time! worse! and no mechanic could reproduce the problem so they do not know how to fix it

is it the engine? the vacuum hose? (i replaced the vacuum hose before) or the brakes ?! :(

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
It stalled, that's the problem.

Power assisted brakes aren't too much use w/o the engine running.

How many miles are on your 1.8t? Is it a manual, what year? Have you had any recall service's completed on it? and Did you buy it new or used, (if used, how many miles were on it?)? When you're approaching a stop do you leave it in gear until near stop, downshift at low rpms, freewheel, or what? (What's your general stoping habit?)

That information will help zero in on the problem.

I'm thinking it's a sensor gone bad causing you to have idle problems when coming off the power. Try to replicate it by giving it power, lots and medium (seperate tests) and then lifting off the throttle complete and pressing in the clutch (letting the engine free-wheel down).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
manual, year 2000, used, odometer reading was 84,461 when i bought it.

the last time it happened (onli 3 times in all) i remembered when it happened i downshift from 5->4->3. my normal habits when i exited the highway. when i was nearing the light i depress the brakes and it din work! i grab my handbrake to stop. its only after i stopped i realise the engine died. (i couldnt hear the engine rumbling from inside not like some other cars) so my guess is the same as urs that the engine stalled to cause the brakes to malfunction. i did change the vacuum hose b4 as it was found to be leaking.

i did not feel the rpm ramming up n down (does not mean it is not possible, like i mentioned i cant really hear the ramming of the engine noise). tats why i was caught off guard. no signs at all.

at anytime now it is perfectly alright. normal driving. nothing wrong...

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Deffinately try to search these forums and the 'old forums' from the link on the homepage. "Stalling at lights" "stalled intersection" "engine dies" etc. I've heard of it before, but I'm not sure what the common causes were. I KINDA wanna say cam sensor? But I dunno.

I had mine die while in motion once, and you're right, no brakes... but I had actually just run out of gas.

I've heard of your problem though and I can rule out a couple things for you right away so you don't waste your time.

2000 == you probably don't have any coilpack problems. (2001's and some newer ones had issues; we don't.)

MAF sounds like it's okay since the car otherwise behaves fine.
Fuel is probably A-okay. probably.

(Unrelated, but ) How many miles are on the bug now? Have you gotten the timing belt changed yet? I'm sorry if I'm the bearer of bad news, but you're pretty close to the maintenance time, and some people have even had theirs go out before 80K. (maintenance schedule said 100K in 2000, they've lowered it *I think?* but several people's have jumped timing. Catastrophic failure.

And incase you see people throwing engine codes around (APH, AWV) you have an APH.(same as me)

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I had the same thing happen last year. Found a couple threads with the same problem as well. All seemed to be on the 2000 1.8t engine with a manual transmission.

I took some advice from the threads I found and replaced my fuel filter as well as the N75 Valve. Haven't had a problem since! If I were to guess, I'd say my problem was probably the fuel filter.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
jitsion said:
its only after i stopped i realise the engine died. (i couldnt hear the engine rumbling from inside not like some other cars) so my guess is the same as urs that the engine stalled to cause the brakes to malfunction. i did change the vacuum hose b4 as it was found to be leaking.
From what you describe, your brakes did not malfunction. The engine died so you no longer had power to the brakes - which means the brakes still work, but you would need to press them very hard.

I wouldn't get wrapped up in the brakes.... the problem is the engine dying.

·
bitten by the bug
22 Posts
I'm having the same #@$*&^ problem! It happened every day for a week straight, stopped for a few days, happened 3 times in two hours 3 days ago, and hasn't happened since! She's going to the vw doctor monday. I love my baby, but I'm really getting ill!:banghead:

·
Registered
867 Posts
when you loose power to the brakes, does the pedal go all the way to the floor easily? If the pedal does not drop to the floor, the brakes should work if you step on them really hard.

The brake light switch will bring your car to idle after being on for 2 seconds even if you have the gas pedal all the way to the floor. If the switch is broken and stuck on it will drop you to idle, I suppose that this might stall your car. Even if your engine stalls, there should be enough vacuum left to opperate the brakes 2 or 3 times so there may be a leak somewhere.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
You have a leak in one of the hoses on top of the engine, there is one that is Y shaped with a very weird shape of a cone that sucker if it fails prevent the engine of making vacuum and henc eyou dont have brakes.

Have it fixed is quite cheap.

In my bug is straight but in other 1.8 it is Y shaped see pics

Attachments

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
Pulgamovil said:
You have a leak in one of the hoses on top of the engine, there is one that is Y shaped with a very weird shape of a cone that sucker if it fails prevent the engine of making vacuum and henc eyou dont have brakes.

Have it fixed is quite cheap.

In my bug is straight but in other 1.8 it is Y shaped see pics
I had a very similar problem and my suction pump (the y shaped plastic part) had a crack and over time broke apart before I could find it. It is a cheap part and can be replaced in a few mins. You can get one from the dealership or ECS has them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.