NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In Need of Help! Fuel Air Metering?

My lovely car's check engine light is still on after replacing the coil pack. I went and ran the fault code today.. this was the result..

P1296 Fuel Air Metering

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this fault?

Thanks everyone! This site is so helpful! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday!

·
Registered
38 Posts
What did you use to pull the code? My Bentley CD says P1296 is a malfunction in the cooling system and points the finger at the engine coolant temperature sensor. This is simple to test as it is just a resistance measurement taken while cold and again while hot to ensure the thermistor is working properly. I have typical values in one of my reference books if you need them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure what tool was used to pull the code. I simply went to auto zone and used that they had. I have had coolant issues recently in that my coolant appears to be leaking, could this be related?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means but the ECT sensor could leak coolant if not seated properly. Once you take the engine cover off,it is approximately under the MAF. It is a round unit with a thermistor probe and the top has a 4-pin electrical connector. Picture hopefully below:

If you search the forum, I'm sure you'll read more and see more pics on location, replacement, etc.

Good luck!

PS The generic OBD-II scanners at Autozone will not interpret the codes properly. Make friends with someone near you with a VAG-COM.

·
Who is John Galt?
695 Posts
It can be a bad thermostat, too. All 1296 code tells you is that there is a problem with the cooling system.

I would change the coolant temp sensor first. They're cheap, and it's easy to do. Then clear the code, drive awhile, see if the code gets thrown again. If it does, then you're probably going to have to change the thermostat.

If you have to change the thermostat, the OEM is a whole lot beefier looking unit that the replacements you'll get from Autozone, etc, and about three times as expensive. When (if?) you go to the dealer to get it, you might also want to get a new dipstick tube and the housing which contains the thermostat. They're cheap and both are very easily damaged in this operation. If you don't damage them, you can always take them back.

Also, unless you can catch and reuse your coolant, you'll probably need a bottle or two of Pentosin G12 coolant

1 - 6 of 6 Posts