VW Beetle Forum banner

Help me!!!

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Too Cold NB1.8T 
#1 ·
I am having many different problems with my beetle!!
1) MY ABS and ASR lights are on in my dash.
2) When my car sits either overnight in my garage or during my work shift, and then I try and reverse the car, the brakes don't compress all the way and I pretty much have to stand on my brake pedal, and FINALLY it will slowly compress all the way and stop
3) My alert chimes are not working anymore, such as low gas light, headlights being on when the door is open, or the key being in the ignition with the door open.

I really don't want to take this to a mechanic because my boyfriend can fix cars, however, I think this is over his head and I know brake problems are not something to mess with. PLEASE HELP ME!!! :confused::confused::confused:

#2 ·
You really shouldn't be driving this car at all right now. You're endangering your life and the lives of everyone else on the road with the brakes in such dire need of repair.

Your problem sounds like a failing brake master cylinder, or some part of the pressure system connected. Find this and you'll take care of 1 and 2.

Number 3 could be a blown fuse, check your fuses.

#4 ·
mlelizbeth, the number one thing to do when issues arrive with your car is to have the ECU scanned for fault codes.

Based on your description of the problem(s) you are experiencing, the master cylinder is not the likely cause.

It is probable that one or more of your ABS components (Control Module, Pump, Wheel Speed Sensors etc.) have failed or a bad electrical connection to said components is the culprit.

Have your ECU scanned for codes, this will assist in determinig the cause.

#6 ·
I don't think so. That sounds like an issue with the brake system itself.

#10 ·
Yes, they will. You should try to find an independent VW shop rather than a dealer.

#12 ·
If you have a positive history with a good mechanic who knows these cars well then that is fine, otherwise, I would strongly suggest staying with a genuine VW dealership for repairs and using genuine VW replacement parts, as with any repair facility, you just need to ask questions and stay on top of what they are doing so that you don't get scammed for incorrect/unnecessary repairs.

People who lack adequate knowledge and experience with these cars often do more harm than good, these cars are different and more particular than many other brands, they require someone with specific skills to properly work on them in order to obtain consistent and positive results, dealership techs are specifically trained to work on these cars and they possess specialized tools and information required for properly servicing these cars.

As far as the non-functioning chimes, this might possibly be a malfunctioning Gauge Cluster, it may also be related to the Comfort and Convenience Module.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.