VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys put my new door lock actuator on today put my door back together and it worked fine,try it several times to make sure all lights flashed and door lock went up and down and it still is by the way but now the door wont open and both handles inside and out are hooked up like i said i tried it 10 times or so today and it opened closed locked and unlocked just fine went out there tonite to get into and it unlocked but the door wont open?what do i do? and how to get it open now? any help is appreciated and needed lol im to big to crawl in from the passengers side lol and p.s when u unlock it the passengers door opens and u can see the drivers door lock come up also? 1998 beetle 2.0 automatic

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Did you set the preload spring on the latch before you installed it and set the cable preload on the exterior door handle?

See the attachment.

If the cable to the outer door handle is not set properly, the latch cab be pulled too much and hang or the door handle will bottom on the stop when pulled and the latch will not be pulled enough.

You also do not want the exterior handle to pull on the cable too much as it may damage the latch over time.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
door wont open

yes i made sure spring was set and door handle was pulled slightly while installing key lock and i heard the audible clip,and as i said it worked fine i checked it several times locking and unlocking,and even now both door lox go up and down and the trunk opens as well as the passengers door and it even starts so theres no alarm interference or Convenience system that i can tell,and i understand the basics and was careful putting back together but if its not something electrical or alarm wise holding it how the hect am i going to get open to fix :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
door wont open

nope neither handle worx althou the door lock button is going up and down............ok so now i realize i have to cut the door off lol anybody have a drivers door for a 98 beetle manual window red would be nice but not a deal breaker that will ship to me cheap :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
door

thats just it,if they can do it how? i figure i MIGHT cut off the door handle itself just the handle and not the key part and grab ahold of the cable the handle hooks to and pull it out farther than the handle would and MAYBE get it open that way?i dont want to cut the door but if all else fails, i`ll wait for a few more comments maybe someone will tell me how the body shop would do it then i`ll try that :confused:but thnx for the replies and keep em coming just maybe i`ll be able to get back in my car:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
door open :)

lol i got ur post after i came in from cutting it open:D and i did read both posts so i kno next time lol thnx,i went ahead and cut around the outside door hamdle and found out why mine wasnt opening,when u pull the cable it wasnt releasing the mechanisim as it should so i needed a new door latch anyway so im just going to get a darn door already put together slap my cables on and hopefully that will be it(hopefully)so i have some prices from an earlier post but if theres any members close to st.pete,fl.33713 that has a door holler at me with ur price and if it beats the yard we`ll see. thnx trhou for ur input and the help i just couldnt wait lol had to see what made it tick:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts