NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ernie broke down on our Chicago trip we took last week, when we are together, we rarely use the radio, so I didn't turn the radio on until Sunday. Only to find out that it doesn't work anymore. I had been having problems with the cd changer, it would just work for a few minutes and then quit, and go to cd error. The manual says something about a code, but it says the radio will say SAFE, but this one does nothing. I checked the fuse and it is good, (if my layout is correct) Maybe I should go out and make sure I looked at the correct fuse. Any ideas?

·
Registered
349 Posts
When the battery is disconnected the radio goes into a locked or safe mode and you have a code to get it to reset (you have two tries and then it locks and the car has to be on for an hour to reset & be able to enter the code again). If you don't have the little card with the code, a VW dealer can get the code for you by entering the radio s/n - and i think on another thread someone said their code was listed on the back of the radio... So your display is completely blank?

·
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When the battery is disconnected the radio goes into a locked or safe mode and you have a code to get it to reset (you have two tries and then it locks and the car has to be on for an hour to reset & be able to enter the code again). If you don't have the little card with the code, a VW dealer can get the code for you by entering the radio s/n - and i think on another thread someone said their code was listed on the back of the radio... So your display is completely blank?
Yes, completely blank, like it is dead.

·
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have the code. I got so excited when I thought I did but I then remembered that the manual I have, I bought it off Ebay after I purchased Ernie.

·
Dreams Come True
16 Posts
Mines doing the same after getting it back from the shop. Dunno what to do. Its completely blank no lights or anything and it worked before going into shop. I know they replaced battery and scanned mine and cleared codes. Even in safe mode or need code mode would it be blank?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Mines doing the same after getting it back from the shop. Dunno what to do. Its completely blank no lights or anything and it worked before going into shop. I know they replaced battery and scanned mine and cleared codes. Even in safe mode or need code mode would it be blank?
Nope, it wouldn't. It would still have power and it says SAFE on your display. That's when you enter the code. But if yours is completely blank than it is either a fuse or a short somewhere. Check the Number 37 and 42 fuse in your fuse block and if not then the fuse in the back of the radio.

Good Luck. You still will need the code once it powers back up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts