VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I close my top yesterday to go on a little 20 mile trip to a grad party. A good friend was there and I wanted to show her how good Annie looks with the top down, I don't understand, but the top won't but the top won't budge! The flaps open (or one of them, the other one is broken.) but there is nothing, the whirring, no sound at all. I'm going to pick my grand children up today, and promised them a ride in the vert. Can someone help me?:confused:

·
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is there a way to by pass the electric part of the soft top, and open/close it manually?

·
Boogety Boogety
413 Posts
Do the top reset procedure before you try anything else:

Get in the car, shut door. Turn on engine. Make sure all four windows are all the way up... Roll windows all the way down with the master switch (all four at once). Turn off car with the windows all down. STAY IN THE CAR.

Turn on engine again. Roll windows all the way up with the master switch again. Then roll windows all the way down with the master switch again. Turn off car.

Your top should be reset now. Turn on engine again, and try the top mechanism. If there is no joy, there's something else going on, but the above fixes 99% of all top-not-operating problems.

·
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I tried that, but I didn't have the door closed. I'll try it again.

·
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Get in the car, shut door. Turn on engine. Make sure all four windows are all the way up... Roll windows all the way down with the master switch (all four at once). Turn off car with the windows all down. STAY IN THE CAR.

Turn on engine again. Roll windows all the way up with the master switch again. Then roll windows all the way down with the master switch again. Turn off car.

Your top should be reset now. Turn on engine again, and try the top mechanism. If there is no joy, there's something else going on, but the above fixes 99% of all top-not-operating problems.
I decided to give your instructions a try, even though I tried it before. But the time before it, I didn't turn on the engine the last time. So, after midnight, reluctantly I tried it again! To my surprise, IT WORKED!!! Thanks so much!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D

·
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Rolling the windows up and down? Car on? then off??? At first I thought it was a joke, someone pulling my leg. But guess what??? IT WORKS!!! I did it for the second time today. I'm grateful to you Thank you so much Boogety Boogety, I appreciate it. and Now, I plan to memorize this little trick!:cool::D

·
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once Again...

Hello all. Since I have been on this site, I have traded Beetles TWICE!! I traded my beautiful 2004 Convertible to John Kauffman for his 2008 NB hardtop, I had to trade my beloved convertible because the straight shift clutch was reeking havoc on my neck. Anyway, as much as I loved Rosebug, I missed my convertible really badly. In the meantime, John found a killer deal on an automatic 2006 Convertible. I thought at first poor John was going Bug crazy, but like he always is, he was thinking of me. He said he was coming for a visit and he brought the 2006 NBC! I was so excited, and quickly sold Rosebug, and made the special deal with Johnny!!! We made a deal and I was back into the comfortable Bug!!! She is beautiful, her name is Annie, after my beloved wife, Carolyn Ann. I have been having battery issues with my Bug, and the battery. I took him to Auto Zone to get a battery. The man checked my alternator and then my battery. He said both were working perfectly. Apparently, during the night, the bug loses all power.If anyone has any ideas, please share them. Thanks to Boggety Boggety my top is working fine again.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
A fresh scan with a VW scan tool; is a good place to start. Parasitic drains; many times are related to stock and aftermarket stereo head units or on the monsoon systems, the rear amplifier. Disconnecting, suspect components; is one way to isolate the problem. More intelligent troubleshooting steps; would involve testing, to find the source of the problem. Here are some links and videos; that should be helpful.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Thank you so much! I put my top down yesterday and headed to watch the local demolition derby, my Bug died as I pulled in. I got a jump and it started, I made it almost back home and it died again. One more jump and I made it. I put the charger on and it was fully charged this morning but the top still would not move. I popped on, saw this thread and did the reset, BOOM we have a functioning top and the girlfriend and I are very grateful!! You rock!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts