VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '02 NB TDI has long worn a bumper sticker saying, "Yeah, it's ugly, but I get 40 mpg." It gets a lot of attention, and as a proud owner, I usually reply, "Half of that statement is true." Now, however, both statements are true...

I clipped a concrete curb the other day while turning a street corner. It seemed minor, with not much noise, but the car did move an inch or two. Later I found an inch-deep dent in the right rocker panel, between the rear wheel well and the edge of the door.

How can this be fixed? Would you remove the rocker panel and replace it, or pull out the dent, or fill it somehow? I'm not after perfection- this is a 170K car with fading cyber green paint. I've kept it well-maintained for the long haul, investing in a new injection pump this summer. No new car is calling my name right now, at least until I sit in the new Beetle. A cheap fix would be the best option, if you have one to suggest.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The rocker panel is welded in so you're probably going to want to opt for the later. ;) Fill it and paint it. Probably going to play hell matching the faded cyber green paint. Maybe consider going to matte black for the rockers.

M.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rocker panel is welded in so you're probably going to want to opt for the later. ;) Fill it and paint it. Probably going to play hell matching the faded cyber green paint. Maybe consider going to matte black for the rockers.

M.
Maybe that's the best option. Body putty is cheap, and so is paint. I've been thinking of adding a rear window spoiler in black, and that might be a snazzy combination.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You can fill it and paint it yourself as I did the dent in my rocker panel. I got custom paint mixed by a paint shop that can match the color of the car even when the paint is old. That way your Cyber Green paint will match no matter HOW old and faded the paint is. :D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The other way would be to fill-it, prime it, and do a textured/ribbed rubber overlay the way they did it on the old air-cooleds. I personally never understood why they painted a piece that was subject to foot abuse,

M.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another question...

...oh, body gurus- how deep can I fill in with body putty? Can I lay one one thick coat, or do I need to repeat several thinner ones? I've worked with the stuff a long wile ago, and it might be different now, as I am.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts