VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 beetle (2.0 liter) has a problem when I turn my heater on. It doesnt blow any hot air even if I idle it for a long time. Can you guys tell me what it can be. My beeping on and off red coolant temperature also is a problem. I appreciate the feedback! Thanks.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
You maybe having a cooling issue; to start with, I would check to see if the water pump is working as it should. Water Pump failures are common; as the stock water pumps, have a plastic impeller that cracks or spins on the shaft, thus not pumping coolant or just partially working.

Check out this video; to see how to check the flow is at it should be at the coolant tank and see how the water pumps impellers fail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln4grYe3WnE

Check that your coolant levels are correct and if the water pump is working as it should; with good flow at the coolant bottle. Check those things and we will go from there.

·
Registered
758 Posts
My beeping on and off red coolant temperature also is a problem. I appreciate the feedback! Thanks.
I'm pretty sure that means it's overheating (but you can always double check your owner's manual to be sure). I certainly would not drive the car much, if at all, until you resolve this issue.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Here are the coolant light modes:

Steady blue temp light = low coolant temp
Flashing blue temp light = electrical fault in coolant monitoring system
Flashing red temp light = low coolant level
Steady red temp light = overheating

·
Registered
758 Posts
Low coolant level could explain not having any heat. But, it would also make the engine prone to (local) overheating, which can be very bad.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Veepeak mini WiFi OBD II OBD2 Scanner

I ordered Veepeak mini WiFi OBD II OBD2 Scanner so my iPad can talk to my Beetle and find out what is going on with the OBD Fusion software on my iPad. Software was $10 from the App Store and Veepeak was $17.99 from Amazon since I'm a Prime member (another $70). But my membership is almost up! What will I do without my Prime membership to Amazon?

I was out of town when we bot Marilyn from a used car lot in Georgia and the check engine light came on the next day. Turns out they don't have a lemon law. We went to the dealership who installed a new timing belt and one of their stock plastic impeller water pumps. If I was home I could have installed the metal impeller water pump I have sitting on the floor right here! I now have this extra water pump waiting for my new plastic impeller water pump to fail so I can replace it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts