NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been recently experiencing noise under my hood when accelerating. When pressing down on the gas, the RPM goes up to about 4000-5000 and makes a very loud noise until it reaches the speed. It does not make the noise if I stay at the same speed.. only when I speed up.

HELP!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Welcome!

To best help please let us know what year your beetle is, which engine you have (2.0, 1.8t, or TDI), and although probably not required for this question automatic or manual transmission.

Also let us know how long you have been driving this car, when you first experienced the noise, or anything else that describes in detail your cars condition.

Think of it as explaining your symptoms to a doctor along with providing a brief medical history.

Thanks,
JB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1998, 2.0, Automatic. 82000 kms.
I actually just bought the car second-hand. As far as I know, the car was kept in storage, not sure if that would be an issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the car rides very nice. However, when I increase speed the car will make a load roaring noise and the rpms will go up to 4000-5000.. the car finally "catches-up" to speed and the rpms decline.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like your transmission is not shifting properly. I would recommend that you take it in and have it thoroughly inspected. It probably needs some basic maintenance if it has been in storage very long.

Start with a basic transmission service where they flush and fill the transmission fluid and change the filter.

I don't own an automatic so I am limited in my experience with these automatic transmissions. Do they have an overdrive button?

Jon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help!
I brought my car to the garage & they said my transmission needs to be replaced.

Any ideas where to get a used one?

·
Registered
97 Posts
there are many places but a used one may not be the best option for you. A quality rebuild is a good route.

Where are you located? Most areas have several transmission specific shops and the prices can vary significantly. Plenty of places online that rebuild transmissions and can ship directly to any shop of your choice.

I never would recommend a used unit unless you knew personally the person and the car it came out of and could attest to the condition or you could rebuild it yourself.

JB

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
Why do they say it needs replacing? Has the fluid been changed?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They said that they "topped her up", but the transmission is "screwed". So, I guess they assumed that it needs to be replaced.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
I'd get more info on that...what do they mean by "screwed"? Huge metal chunks in the fluid? Something else? And unless they drained it, replaced the filter, and filled it back up, I'd do that before you go replacing the trans. They aren't cheap. There area couple parts that can be replaced in the trans too. It could be possible that the transmission is shot, as the VW autos are pretty crummy, but I'd get more details on why it needs to be replaced. Doesn't sound like they did much troubleshooting to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The garage was working my car & I went to pick the car up for the weekend. When I got there, I found out that my bug wouldn't go into reverse. So I guess the transmission is completely gone now. :( & they replaced the brake pads. I really hope I don't have any more trouble with this vehicle. Have you guys had any troubles with a VW?

·
Registered
97 Posts
honestly, you bought a car that is 13-14 years old.

No matter who made it you will run into problems. Most of us expect some issues and that is one of the greatest things about this and other forums. There is so much information to be had regarding what has and will go wrong with your car it will make you a better owner and more prepared.

JB

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I second that for sure.
Sorry to hear! :(

I have to third it. And I know everybody is going to laugh at this, but I have had experience with three different Aamco shops (all Franchises), two that I was recommended to by my mechanics in two different cities, and one I had to use while on the road - 3 'fer 3; All experiences, perfect! Reasonable, no rebuilds involved, or even suggested! The first thing a place that doesn't rebuild trannies says is "gone, need to be replaced",because that is the limit of the work they can do. A reputable transmission shop will work to diagnose the problem, and doesn't want to price it beyond your reach if it's not necessary. And ditto on not buying a used one. What, a 30 day warranty? Maybe? And the tranny only, not the shipping or labor. Not for my money!

M. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts