VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had a 2001 beetle and have had nothing but issues! first i had a random drain on the battery it seems to be fixed by changing the red lead and the battery top which they say had fuses in it!?! but it took over a year and over 1000 to fix have had the car for a little over 1 month and since the repair was cheap 140.00 i went for a full tune up which was not! needless to say after over 900.00 in total they return the car then about 1 week ago it started cranking a bit before starting? i called the shop and they said it sounded like the starter which would cost 415.00 installed i bring the car there today and i get a call its a catalytic converter??? but the check engine light is not on the car just passed nys emission test. the car cranks like its going to start and dies it did the twice before finally starting up when i give it gas i hear a knocking sound which could indeed be catalytic converter but would that cause the slow start up? I'm no mechanic but i feel like they are about to bang me out for a catalytic converter when i really need a starter maybe i need both but they r saying a catalytic converter is 800.00!! without labor!?! anyone have any similar issues?? or advice the only reason i brought it to this shop is so far they have been the only ones who have been able to fix anything even the dealership couldn't figure out what was draining the battery! please help!!!!!!!!!:confused::(:mad

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
If the car turns over it is not the starter; if it were me I would check the following ...

1) CAM Sensor
2) Crank Sensor
3) Knock Sensors
4) There is a Transmission Sensor as well

Is you NB a 5 Speed or an Automatic?

There is a fuse box on top of the battery; which tends to melt, but there are no in-line fuses.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts