NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My fuel door quit opening today. It is not frozen shut(that has been verified) and I can hear the silinoid working. It seems that something is wrong with the cable. Has anyone had this problem? Please help Yelojkt is very hungry and I can't feed him.:cry:

·
2,646 Posts
Pop out the round cover on the back wall of your trunk on the passenger side (this cover is there to access your rear taillight so you can change out a burnt bulb if necessary). Reach around in there for the cable. Pull on the whole cable up near the fuel filler opening--you can open the fuel door this way until you get it fixed.

I opened my '98 like this for a year!:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
What I did (till I learned about the cable trick) was to get someone to push the button while I pried open the cap with a flat head. a bit more intensive than the cable yank.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 1.8T GLX fuel door does the same thing at random. Will work great 10 times and the 11th it may not pop open.

The fuel door on my other NB (1999 2.0) is just broken so it does not lock. I actually like it that way and may "disable" the one on my 1.8T. Seems silly to me to lock it where I am at. I have a 2004 Tahoe that holds 2x the gas and it does not lock.....

I definitely will not pay and money to have it fixed...

·
Registered
49 Posts
my 2000 glx does the exact same thing. Thanks for the info on the cable they may make things easier until i get the door fixed.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
I permanetly dissconnected my cable.

Once I popped open the fuel door I pulled up on the lil metal clip that holds the cable in place. Its right where the lil button is that holds the door closed on the fuel cap.

I have been opening it manually for a year now. I do plan on eventually replacing the cable... just not right now. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Fowvay said:
I permanetly dissconnected my cable.

Once I popped open the fuel door I pulled up on the lil metal clip that holds the cable in place. Its right where the lil button is that holds the door closed on the fuel cap.

I have been opening it manually for a year now. I do plan on eventually replacing the cable... just not right now. :lol:
That's a good solution. I've just had gas stolen out of my past two cars in two states, so I am an avid fan of the locking gas cap.. and I actually look down on cars that lack them. It's (getting) harder to find an after market cap for a modern car if it lacks a locking mechanism from the factory.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Before you go and buy a new cable, the switch maybe the problem. Trouble shoot the switch by plugging the electrical connector from the fuel door to the rear hatch switch. Same connector type. If the door opens, there you go.

The solenoid would function when the switch was bad but it would not operate all the way.

Installed a new cable and still would not work. Installed a new switch and it all worked.

BB

·
Registered
3 Posts
My cable started sticking which I confirmed after I had removed it. From the outside I removed the single screw inside the gas door to remove the soft liner and the clip that holds the latch at the end of the cable. On the inside I undid the RR plastic panel and disconnected the cable at the solenoid. It was then relatively easy to pull the cable through the hole in the metal that separates the inside from the outside. After the holidays I will see how much the dealer wants for a replacement cable.
JJ

·
RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!
2,063 Posts
wawalker said:
Pop out the round cover on the back wall of your trunk on the passenger side (this cover is there to access your rear taillight so you can change out a burnt bulb if necessary). Reach around in there for the cable. Pull on the whole cable up near the fuel filler opening--you can open the fuel door this way until you get it fixed.

I opened my '98 like this for a year!:eek:

Nice tip, mine did that a couple of months ago and I didn't know how to fix it. Lucky for me it finally came open by its self.

·
Faster Than Katrina
2,005 Posts
Mine turned out to be the switch ... so I am using the hatch switch and adding replacing the fuel switch to the growing list of repairs to be done. Getting at the selenoid to get the cable housing back in the right place was a problem ... not as easy as I've seen posted here.

·
Best 2B Topless!!
285 Posts
LymBug did that to me one time at the station. I was so ticked off and embarrassed! After my ranting and raving, Darling Hubby came by my office - locked my doors, then unlocked them and then tried the lid - which it opened.

He told me that he heard that if the you have your gas door unlocked, but not open - and your doors lock up automatically - it will lock up the gas door until you re-lock/un-lock the car doors. I didn't think that was why it did that, but I do remember standing outside of LymBug, she did lock the doors before the gas attendant could come over to feed her.

So - I dunno... ticked me off that she opened her door up for Darling Hubby and not her Momma!! Of course, he came all the way from work just to see that it WAS working!! Probably thinking I was Koo Koo!!

Gracie has not done that to me yet...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts