NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent any idea if this is in the right forum topic, but where i live, my car keeps getting spit on and egged and im completely sick of it. i am 99% positive that it is my upstairs neighbors. they spit on my car from their 2nd floor porch because i have to park right below their porch. i also get random smears of egg and tons and tons of fingerprints of them wiping random substances everywhere. this happens basically almost every night. its almost impossible to keep my car clean and my landlord wont do anything about it. does anybody have any suggestions for me on what i should do besides moving?:confused: cuz believe me, i do! thanks and feel free to redirect this post to the correct column :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You're light purple type is extremely hard to read and annoying. Perhaps it's not as light on your monitor as it is on others. Sorry, not to be a smart a$$, but this isn't a fashion show.

I would set up a video surveliance and get it on tape, not just one time, but the repeated attacks on your property. Then either approach the complex or file charges against the perps. You might consult an attorney, the complex may in fact have a liability. If so, or if their liability is questionable, a letter from an attorney might be a motivating factor. What exactly did you do tho pi$$ someone off? Ppl might randomly commit an act like this, but not repeatedly, on a daily basis. Of course you could approach them and tactfully discuss a truce, or simply try to befriend them. Any retaliation will just provoke worse damage.

Almost anything will be the cost and bother of moving, but you would certainly have reason to break your lease, again through an attorney or within the legal process of doing so.

Btw, saw your pic thread, nice ride!

MORAV

·
5/23/10 <3
10,914 Posts
Maybe try getting a car cover? Sucks to have to put one on just for the evenings and such, but could be a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry. i changed the color. i hope this is better. i like having the color though, so sorry. and thanks for the advice. i might actually get a security camera. i am low on money at the moment though. know where i can get a really cheap one? and i have no idea why they are doing this to only my car. there are at least 9 other cars that park in this lot! im thinking maybe because i have a beetle they think its funny? cuz they think that maybe having this type of car is dumb? idk. they are real punks anyways. they even spray painted all the walls on the basement! and i thought about getting a car cover but my mom suggested that it might cause more attention to my car :/ thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think the idea of the camera is ideal. Folks shouldn't get away with this kind of behavior, especially on a regular basis! I, of the short fuse, would have confronted them a long time ago. I also like the idea of a cover. I hadn't had my NB very long when I had nice magnetic signs made advertising my business, "Elaine's Auto Detail". I came out one morning and they were gone. I replaced them with permanent signs AND a car cover. No more vandalism. Some folks don't have anything better to do. I would definitely catch these low lifes in the act. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure that you are all going to be almost as mad as I am when I tell you this! Last night I parked in my parking area where there was only one available spot left last night. I wake up to a note on my car saying "park in our spot again anf I'll egg your ****". I was pissed off enough about this but then I needed to get something out of the truck. What I swer made me infuriated!! That person kicked in my hatchback leaving a HUGE dent and a foot print!! Needless to say, I called the authorities and I told them who I suspected it may be and he knocked on their door, brought the suspect outside, questioned him and the idiot actually confessed thank god! He will be paying for the damages and if not he will be arrested! I'll deff post pictures for you guys later on today when I get out of class. I'm still so mad!:mad:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm shocked he wasn't cited on the spot. Collecting the equivalent of a month or two's rent money to pay the damages is probably going to be next to impossible. I suspect you'll never see a penny. Your local police needed to put it in the courts where restitution could be ordered and enforced. This needs to be handled as a criminal matter and not a civil one. I believe the crime is called "criminal damaging". I'd be down at the police station questioning why this wasn't handled the way it should have been. Been a car belonging to one of their daughter's, I promise it would have been. If you were my daughter, I'd be there right now looking for an explanation. Seems the police and the courts are more concerned with things that generate revenue for the city, e.g. traffic tickets. Otherwise your going to end up trying to collect in small claims court, and that will cost you money and get you a big fat $0.00

Don't sit on this, get an estimate immediately, include car rental (have the include that in the estimate). Confront the perp with the bill, mail a copy certified. Figure a way to tape your conversation. Otherwise everything that transpires becomes a "he said - she said".

The upside of this, is I think you're nightly happenings are over. Now, anything else occurs, the police know where to look, and your perp knows it.

Funny, I'm still dealing with the repercussions of an unwarranted (and I will add, unpaid) traffic ticket I received passing through your fair city of Providence over 15 years ago. Not over the speed limit, but "passing on the right", in the city, on a multi lane freeway. (lol)

On a related note, if the damage is in close proximity to the third brake light, you might have an issue with a seal, and subsequent water leaking into the cabin until the repair is made. Read this thread
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/52599-water-leak.html

Btw, thanks for the black print, and the capitalization and punctuation. So much more readable (and adult).

M.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, the only reason why my type was in black on my last post was because i posted it from my cell phone. i will be continuing to stick with the colors. sorry, but other people use colors as well and im not going to go back to boring black just because you dont like it. dont mean to be rude but it just makes it more fun to me. the option was provided, so i will use it. now back to the issue at hand: thanks so much for the advice, but if i can help it, i dont wanna spend so much time dealing with going to court and all of that nonsense, which is why i chose to take the civil route. if the criminal doesnt act civil back then i will be taking those actions. right after im done with this, im going to go and get a quote to see what the cost of damage is. here is also a few pictures of the damage. what do you suppose it will cost to fix this?

the footprint

if the pics for some reason dont show up here are the links:
2011-09-28071947.jpg picture by whoabeats - Photobucket

2011-09-28071947.jpg picture by whoabeats - Photobucket

·
5/23/10 <3
10,914 Posts
Ouch. That's a pretty big dent. Not sure if you can do paintless dent removal on that or if its too big for that. Don't know too much about it, but that would be your cheapest option probably. Foot print should come off with a good wash.

I will echo MORAV...the colored font is harder to read for sure. I'm not a fan of it...last time I used a colored font was when I was probably 15. I know its fun, but if you want people to be able to read what you write and help you out, black font is better, for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Ahhh! Entitlement! Such a nice trait of Gen X, can you imagine what X is going to have to deal with when they finally grow up and have to deal with Gen Y?

Okay, enough with the black type thing. But I like your phone, it knows how to capitalize and punctuate. :D

As you like with proceeding civilly instead of criminally, your money. One trip to court as opposed to... I'm just speaking from age and experience, not ideology.

Anyway, looking at your dent, it may be a candidate for paintless dent repair
Paintless Dent Repair - MSN Autos
or it may require a lot more, a couple hundred or a thousand plus.

Good luck.

Ouch. That's a pretty big dent. Not sure if you can do paintless dent removal on that or if its too big for that. Don't know too much about it, but that would be your cheapest option probably. Foot print should come off with a good wash.

I will echo MORAV...the colored font is harder to read for sure. I'm not a fan of it...last time I used a colored font was when I was probably 15. I know its fun, but if you want people to be able to read what you write and help you out, black font is better, for sure.
Thanks for the support with that SB., lots of times when posts are in color, or not capitalized or punctuated, I simply don't bother, and move on. Which may be okay with some here, anyway! (lol) What I should have done with this one!

M.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
When I posted on here I expected that I would get a little support because of this incident. I didn't post this to get criticized on my writing and font color; that's what English class is for.But, just so I do not have to hear any of that I'll type like this. As for my car, I have taken it to two different auto body shops for an estimate and they have priced the damage to be somewhere between $2500-$3500 only because they said that the dent is too deep to be popped out. They said that they would have to get a new back hatch, take my back windshield out of my old hatch, put it in the new one, and then paint the new hatch to match to my black paint the best they can seeing as how it has faded some from when it came from the factory in 2003. Also, (I forgot to mention before) that he also made a very small dent in my driver's side door, so there might be a chance to pop that out. That does add a little more money to the equation though. If I were this guy, I would be crying because idk who has that kind of money just sitting around.

P.S. I do not want any trouble on this forum; I am here to get good advice and information about my 2003 Volkswagen Beetle because I love this car a lot and I really want to take care of it.:)I noticed from reading other posts that you are a very good advice giver and you are quite knowledgeable about these cars so I do really honestly appreciate any advice you have to offer to me.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Sorry this happened...

When I posted on here I expected that I would get a little support because of this incident. I didn't post this to get criticized on my writing and font color; that's what English class is for.But, just so I do not have to hear any of that I'll type like this. As for my car, I have taken it to two different auto body shops for an estimate and they have priced the damage to be somewhere between $2500-$3500 only because they said that the dent is too deep to be popped out. They said that they would have to get a new back hatch, take my back windshield out of my old hatch, put it in the new one, and then paint the new hatch to match to my black paint the best they can seeing as how it has faded some from when it came from the factory in 2003. Also, (I forgot to mention before) that he also made a very small dent in my driver's side door, so there might be a chance to pop that out. That does add a little more money to the equation though. If I were this guy, I would be crying because idk who has that kind of money just sitting around.

P.S. I do not want any trouble on this forum; I am here to get good advice and information about my 2003 Volkswagen Beetle because I love this car a lot and I really want to take care of it.:)I noticed from reading other posts that you are a very good advice giver and you are quite knowledgeable about these cars so I do really honestly appreciate any advice you have to offer to me.
Okay, let's put the font and color thing to bed. This whole thing got started because of a simple one sentence statement I made about the color being hard to read, you continued it on, and got in my face. Truthfully, I don't like that when I'm trying to give someone instruction or advice, or "fatherly" advice, ESPECIALLY when they request it. And besides, black matches your Dot, all the more reason (lol)!

No one here, is here to criticize you, your writing, or your style. We are here to help you, believe me. However, this is not a social site like FB and it's not like texting between friends, though we would like to be thought of as your "friend" and would like to think of you as ours. There are certain threads here on the Org that are for socializing, and please feel free to use whatever color, font, and style you choose in those forums, they are there for fun and amusement.

Besides being here, I own a business and that is a full time proposition. My slow season, I have more time and spend more time here. I do this, to give back what I have taken from others all my life, because I'm in a position to be able to do so. I read nearly every "problem" type of thread if the title so dictates. Some days that can run a hundred or more. Some, because on input from others over the course of the day I read multiple times. I speed read, to have the time to think through my answer, and when I have to research or find something, to do that. I'm not on the Org all day, even though I may appear so, I just leave the Org in my tray and check in to see if someone has responded to a question I had asked, or is under their car looking, for an answer, right now.

When I was your age, I could have read this monitor from next door, my eyes were that good, today, with reading glasses, I struggle sometimes to read even the black standard font, especially early AM when I'm getting down those first few cups of coffee. I can enlarge the screen, but then I have to scroll back and forth. All I was asking, for myself, and for others who have excellent knowledge and experience, and who also enjoy helping, is that you help us by respecting that you are in a help forum and not on a social thread or social site.

Now please, give it a rest, there is no trouble here, we are all good, promise :)

As to your car, I suspected as much as to the extent of the damage, but hesitated to say so, because of those who might come along and berate me for it. I have been heavily chastised on more than one occasion when I have stated that a good, simple paint job, no body work costs $5000 or more and can easily run to $8000. This being offered on occasion when someone wants to change the color of their car, like to pink!

As to your situation, and considering the dollars involved, and also assuming you have at least collision and comprehensive coverage, you might be best to place a call to your insurance agent in the morning and ask advice. It would be interesting to see what your insurance company has to say, about their exposure to an outlay of that kind of money, when the perp is known and has confessed (I pray there was a police report filed), and the police took no action. It's a safe bet you will collect nothing from this person. I will warn you, you are going to have to be careful dealing with your own insurance company as at what you are indicating the damages are, you may very well be approaching a total loss. I don't know ALL the details of your car, I know it is an '03 GL 2.0 with 103k miles, black (yes, color affects value), I assume avg condition, as defined by the book. I did a quick run of your value, by Edmunds, for your location, and what your looking at is posted at the end of my post. I know you love your car, I so get that, and I don't know what you just paid, which as far as the insurance company is concerned is irrelevant, and I know you just did a TB & WP? Scheduled maintenance, and again, irrelevant in their eyes. Not a pretty picture, just the reality. Anyway, like I said, call your Agent, especially before you even approach the perp.

We love you Darlin'! Keep us posted.

Your friend, M.

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
10,914 Posts
The blue book/NADA value was that, and just checked Edmunds and its only 200 less than that for my '99! Seems silly that an '03 is only worth $3k according to Edmunds.

But yes, paint is expensive. We were quoted in the range of $3k-$5k+ for paint on our Mk1. No color change, body straight. If you want it done well, you have to pay to play. I worry you'll have to go through insurance if the perp doesn't pay up for the repair (which wouldn't surprise me) so I'd be worried as to how they'd handle it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you very much for making me feel a little better about the font thing. I appreciate it. :)

I did take my car to another body shop. I took it to the place where the police officer said I should go. He said that they do a really great job there, and boy was he right. I could tell as soon as I got there that this man wanted to make sure that everything was perfect! He told me about replacing the hatch and so on and he also said that if he were to paint the hatch, he would have to paint the body that was surrounding the hatch as well to make all of the color blend better. He also said the same about the door. His final estimate was about $4000. Although this auto shop was more expensive than the others, it seems to me like he will do a very good job.Should I pick this shop to do my repairs or get a few more estimates? As for the guy who kicked my car, I did file a report, but I did not press charges...yet. He actually confronted me while the cop was not there yesterday and threatened me. I got the police involved again and he should be leaving me alone now. I also have a question about the insurance company thing, I cannot ask his insurance company to pay for this because he did not hit me with his car and it wasn't an accident right? Also, if I call my insurance company and have them pay for it, I would have to pay my deductible, so that would be money out of my own pocket and the guy who kicked my car would pay nothing? It is all just a little confusing for me.:confused:

Also, should this be posted somewhere else? I feel like this isn't the right forum. I'm not entirely sure how to and where to move it to though.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The guy threatened you???? Geeez...

"His" insurance will have nothing to do with it. This is not that type of thing. Doubtful he has a current policy anyway. Responsible people don't do what he did. Your comprehensive will (probably) take care of it. I say probably because insurance regulations govern policies and vary from state to state. That is why I said to call your AGENT and get his/her advice on how to proceed, they will have specific things they will want and need.

Don't spend a lot of time getting estimates, they will send you to their adjuster, he will estimate the damages, and they will probably give you a list of shops. Or they may simply refer you to a list of "preferred" shops, shops they have agreements with, and won't question the charges. You won't have a great say in the amount, or where the work gets done. You may have the option to take it to someone who is higher priced, but you will probably have to pay the premium charges, if that is your choice (be carefully how much money you put into a car, consider it's value and your lack of a return on your investment).

The Ins Co may or may not choose to pursue the perp, but, however, they would do that, it would be civil. They would not, and would not be able to, bring criminal charges, and for the money involved (a large sum to you, a pittance to them) they probably won't even fool with him or attempting to recover the damages. Your deductible will apply, and your only recourse will be small claims court to get a judgment, that doesn't assure you of your money. A civil court can only order payment and issue judgment on a debt. (You can't go to jail or have criminal action brought against you for failure to pay a debt). That is why I suggest you have him charged and get this into criminal court, where a judge can order restitution and back it up with criminal punishment if not adhered to. Especially considering his latest action. It should be obvious, anything you attempt directly with him, will be frugal. As you obviously don't want to wait for some kind of restitution payout from him, through the courts (they will give him time to pay, or a payment plan), you may be able to have your insurance company reimbursed through the courts, and recover your deductible. (you would probably get your money first). Talk to your AGENT.

And don't worry about the right or wrong forum. Many people don't pull up and view new threads by forum, they simply view them all, as I do. I never even notice the forum in which the thread is posted.

M.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts