NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so here is what happened I was driving my wifes 02 beetle 1.8turbo and was going about 45 50 mph I went to give it some gas and did not respond the rpms started to drop slowly till it just shut off tried to crank it but it sounds like the engine is not turning over and sounds like the starter is just spinning I'm thinking it's the timing belt but not sure if anyone could help please..thanks allot

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
Hard to really say. Is there a check engine light? Have you popped the timing belt cover to check the belt?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Sure sounds like the timing belt popped. How many miles on the car and when was the timing belt service performed last?

Keep us Posted!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car has roughly around 156k got it used been having it for a lil over a year and never serviced the timing belt Im pulling it home right now but will keep y'all posted with it

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Car has roughly around 156k got it used been having it for a lil over a year and never serviced the timing belt Im pulling it home right now but will keep y'all posted with it
NEVER? Ouch! That is gonna cost you. :(

At 156k it is a sheer miracle that it lasted this long.
If you pull the head yourself and have a shop replace the valves you may get away with around 1600 bucks. Or you can shop around for a used head but you never know what you get with those.

Keep us posted!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good thing I do know my way around cars lol I've done few timing belts but never on a beetle lol will see what I find

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also I know a shop that rebuilds heads for $140 new valves and everything did it to my 2.5 Sentra but the looks of the beetle its going to be tough

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright so took the timing cover off the belt is in there in one peace tried to crank it but the cams don't spin

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Stripped teeth on the timing belt. Don't crank it anymore the head has to come off to see the total damage. It most likely has bent some valves in all of the cylinders. D2 beetle has a great therad for a head rebuild on the site.

Good luck with the rebuild.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Did you check the belt to see if there are any teeth missing?
The Beetle has an interference engine so if the timing belt stripped teeth even if it's in one piece it probably bent the valves and there are 20 of them in the 1.8

If that shop can rebuild it for $140 it would be a bargain!
But they still need to get the parts and those for the beetle will be a lot more than that.

Also check the Cam Chain and tensioner. The cam chain tensioner can fail. You will see if you take the valve cover off. It's on the drivers side under the valve cover.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
156k on 1 belt and pump?! Yikes! Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Was looking at the belt and no teeth are missing its still all there what gets me is that all the pulleys are turning with the serpentine belt but the cam is not spinning :confused:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Confirmed it is the timing belt the teeth are striped from where the crank is going to get cracking on it tomorrow thanks for the help guys ill post up the progress

1 - 19 of 19 Posts