VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rescued Beetle
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was able to put one of those fancy competes on my car today and the results are in the picture. Besides needing a new battery, what else can you tell me about these numbers?

Attachments

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
What scanner/software are you using; was the car running or turned off? Looks to be a snap shot; of a live data stream, you are running on the car? Are you having a specific problem with your car; at the present time? Probably, checking for trouble codes; would be a good thing, post any and all trouble codes, that you find.
A bad charging/battery issue; will typically, cause a TON of codes to be thrown, as the computers don't have enough volts to run correctly. So, I would get a new battery and have your whole charging system, tested... BEFORE, trying to diagnose anything with the trouble codes, that you are seeing. Get that fixed; save all trouble codes, clear them all and see if any come back. Post up whatever codes; you are getting, we will go from there! :cool:

·
Rescued Beetle
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a snap on MODIS I think. The car wasn't running, tomorrow I'll take a picture of it running after having driven it so the o2 paths will open. There are no codes. But I know I have a vacuum leak, did a smoke test today on that system, too and have smoke coming from under the air box.
The problem I am addressing is poor gas mileage. I'm only getting about 19mpg, 23mpg at most. To give some more info about my car, when I bought it, it had hit a ditch and cracked the radiator and carrier. I replaced the radiator, condenser, fan assembly, and carrier, then the thermostat. I've also replaced the secondary air pump mounts. It has a new lower grill, and is a basic gl so no fog lights. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.
I've driven it 2000 miles since I fixed it and it has driven well. No codes.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,416 Posts
What kind of driving are you doing? Manual or automatic transmission?

·
Rescued Beetle
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's an automatic, driven mostly around town. It has 83,000 miles on it, which is part of the reason I bought it. I paid 1000 for it wrecked and have spent maybe 800 total getting it back together. My last car was a Passat with 189k mi, which I loved but sold because this one kind of fell into my lap.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,416 Posts
Honestly, that mileage sounds about normal for a 2.0 auto. I would get around 21 around town in my manual 2.0 and an auto will get slightly less. You could try putting in new spark plugs and wires. New air filters. New fuel filter.

Also, I would make sure the timing belt has been done. If not, it needs it.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Checking the fuel trim levels; is a good way to diagnose vacuum and other types of problems: vacuum leaks or maf:

Fuel Trim Info - Ross-Tech Wiki

http://www.ross-tech.net/vag-com/advertising/DiagnosingA_MAF_TechTip.pdf

I also found; that a bad coolant temp sensor, really affected my fuel milage and a throttle body clean, and alignment, would be a good idea too.... that makes a big difference in how the engine runs! :) Full tune up and maintenance @ 80K would be a great idea and get the car running; at its top efficiency! :)

·
Rescued Beetle
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Filters and spark plugs today. Also has a new alternator and compressor that were done right before it was wrecked. Timing belt, water pump and tensioners have been replaced as well. Just pulled the MAF sensor out and cleaned it along with the air box, because I wanted to see if anything under the box was broken. Will also be replacing some rubber lines with silicone if I can find it local. Coolant temp sensor is a good idea and I'll check fuel trim levels too. Thanks!
First picture is to show the gap I couldn't get out when putting the fender back on after replacing the radiator.
Second is in progress work this morning :)

Attachments

·
Rescued Beetle
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replaced the thermostat a month ago. Just cleaned the throttle body today, replaced the coolant temp sensor, and replaced the air filter. I'll do the spark plugs this weekend. Hopefully the mileage will improve- I feel like I should get more than 270 miles to a tank of gas. We'll see. Here's a pic of the throttle body before I cleaned it.

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
11,416 Posts
In town driving, 270 is pretty normal. That's what I got in my 2.0 and what I get in my GTI. I should say, 270 before a fillup. Which gives me 22-23 mpg.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
We're pulling 29.5 with our 2.0 in our 2001 Beetle. Granted ours is a 5speed standard, but it should run closer to 25-28 with an auto (I check it manually each fill up with a calc)

If all you are doing is in town driving--I can see low 20's. But with a goodly combination of both highway and in town? Something is still not correct.

Next time you break out the 'toy'. Have it recording live data and select to see engine RPM, temp, and fuel trims. The car has to be in "CL" (closed loop) Do a few youtube videos from a gent named "ScannerDanner" This guy teaches at a trade college doing nothing but electronic diagnosis and he's probably as close to a wizard with these scan tools.

S-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts