NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this transmission section - sorry to double post. Any advice greatly appreciated! My car (2001 1.8) has been in the shop for almost a month now. Was driving and it kept popping out of 5th so sent it in for new transmission and also knew I needed brakes. when the transmission was replaced the car shook. They got another transmission, same problem. Took it in for diagnostics and showed an axle needed to be replaced too. I love this car, but it seems it's one thing after another. I know I can trust the mechanics. It's at my stepdad's shop - he and two other mechanics have been trying to figure it out and aren't sure why it's shaking now when turning right.

In the past year since I've bought it the timing belt, water pump, alternator, flashers(turn signals), plugs, wires, and now transmission and brakes have been replaced. Probably a few other things I can't think of at the moment. :confused: Any suggestions?

·
Registered
11,627 Posts
Hmmmm, I'm doing my transmission right now; I did have to take some suspension components apart that may affect the alignment (on the left, drivers side). I wonder if that is a possible issue? No offense to your step dads shops/techs but f they are unfamiliar with VWs maybe overlooking something; a second opinion might be in order or have it taken to a shop, put it an alignment rack.... see if it is out of spec!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I got a call last night that they think everything is good now but are planning put back on the rack, recheck and run diagnostics again to be sure. I will be so happy to get my Bella back. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they replaced the cv axles too. picked up today...praying nothing else needs to be repaired for a long time - I'm broke. :( But I sure am happy to be driving her again!

Thanks to all for the help!

·
Registered
11,627 Posts
Well, glad everything got resolved; sound like the axles were the issue? I can appreciate being broke from a needed beetle repair; my transmission rebuild is wiping me out too! Your not alone! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts