VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
First Car! Emil!
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this but I need help & fast!

I have speed bumps at my school and every time I go over them (straight on) there's
a grinding noise. If I go over it side ways it doesn't scratch!

What I'm wondering is, WHAT IS SCRATCHING?

When I change the oil the undercarriage looks great and unscratched (to my knowledge,
I'm no mechanic though) my bumper (which I just got repainted 2 months ago) is still in mint condition so it's not that but I've noticed that my mudflaps (is that the right word?) is pretty scratched up- it also looks alot lower than anything else on my car..so is that scratching?

Because if it's just my mudflaps it's not such a serious deal as if it's my oil pan or something
(not saying my mudflaps aren't imporant but, ya know)

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,353 Posts
Are you sure its a scrape and not more of a squeak? I know my front suspension always made a noise going over speed bumps. I guess I could describe it as a scrapey-squeak kind of sound.

·
First Car! Emil!
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure its a scrape and not more of a squeak? I know my front suspension always made a noise going over speed bumps. I guess I could describe it as a scrapey-squeak kind of sound.

It's not that because when I go over the newer smoother speed bumps it doesn't make any noise at all.
Plus I've heard my suspension squeak and I know the noise you're talking about, and it's not that.

Thank you for the idea though :)

·
Where is home ....
11,016 Posts
Not 100% sure what it is ... but, I have the hard plastic mud flaps from VW by all four wheels. They scrape when I go over tall bumps straight on but not when I go sideways. Perhaps that IS what you are hearing. ??

·
First Car! Emil!
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not 100% sure what it is ... but, I have the hard plastic mud flaps from VW by all four wheels. They scrape when I go over tall bumps straight on but not when I go sideways. Perhaps that IS what you are hearing. ??
I hope that's what I'm hearing! That's my guess but I was just wondering if anybody knew for sure

·
Registered
153 Posts
My Guess is that the car is 'Bottoming out' on the hump, especially when you say if you go at an angle is doesn't scrape.

Speed bumps or sleeping policemen as we call them are supposed to be a set height, this height was determined some years ago before low profile tyres, lowered suspensions and side skirts.

Thinking about the angle of the car when you drive over the hump will give a good indication of what is making contact.

1, If front wheels are on the hump, this means the back is down so could be the rear mud flaps or tow hitch, extended exhaust if you have them.

2, If the hump is narrow and it scrapes when when you 'straddle' the hump, it is probably something under the car in the center, possibly muffler, chassis, twisted exhaust pipe bracket.

3, If the scrape is when front is down and rear is up then look to the front of the car.

My thought is with the second one as is the norm now with lower cars, this is why the are making the humps wider now to prevent this. If the hump is tall and narrow which is the norm with 'private' ones, you have a case to sue for damage to your car.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Just go over the hump with your two front tires and once they come back down "STOP". Go outside to check the clearance between the speed bump and your mud flaps or anything else that may be close to the peak of the speed bump. Easy enough to check and it will only take a few seconds which shouldn't pi$$ anyone off that is behind you. ;)

·
First Car! Emil!
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just go over the hump with your two front tires and once they come back down "STOP". Go outside to check the clearance between the speed bump and your mud flaps or anything else that may be close to the peak of the speed bump. Easy enough to check and it will only take a few seconds which shouldn't pi$$ anyone off that is behind you. ;)
Oh I piss people off, especially when I go over the speed bumps sideways & take up the entire road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts