VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need some help with this. My car has been shifting erratically lately and everyone has been telling me to change the speed sensor. I've looked high and low for it, under thr trans, above the trans, on the differential, under the battery and air cleaner box. I just can't find it. My transmission code is GHE and I have a 2004 1.8 turbo 6 speed automatic triponic transmission.

If somebody can help me then I would greatly appreciate it. I've also changed the transmission oil with the expensive $30 a liter bottle.

The weird thing is that recently the trans forced itself into some kind of mode where all the letters of PRDS are all in brackets and you cant use the triponic function and when the trans is in that mode, it actually shifts better. So now I need to know where the speed sensor is and how to get the trans out of that mode.

Thanks

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Unfortunately, I have no good news for you. These sensors are internal to the transmission and the case must be split to access them. Unless you are familiar with the intricacies of an automatic transmission, this is not a DIY serviceable item.

More info can be found here:
Jatco Transmission problem - TDIClub Forums
(note: that link refers to the 5 speed version of this transmission, which was used in MK4 Jetta/Golf TDI 2004 and up. These transmissions are pretty much the same Jatco unit, except the 09A is a 5 speed and the 09G is a 6 speed)

Have you checked for codes? What codes were displayed? There is mention in that thread of someone with a similar problem which ended up being a faulty TCM. The sensors should be ohm checked (can be done without removing transmission) to verify that they are the problem and not the TCM.

It sounds as though the transmission is now in limp mode, so it is resorting to a set mode of parameters and locking out the tiptronic mode to protect the transmission.

After you check for codes, you could try to reset the basic settings for the transmision. However, this could cause drivability issues and cause it to shift erratically until it goes into limp mode again.

To restore basic settings (per Bentley):
- switch on the ignition but do not start the engine
- push the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there for a minimum of 5 seconds
- release accelerator pedal and switch off the ignition

This will not be a cheap fix unfortunately and you are going to need a transmission shop that knows VW's. If you go to the dealer, they will likely just replace the transmission completely. Effective, but more expensive as well. These are good transmissions, but the speed sensor issues are becoming more and more of a problem.

Good luck.

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
BTW...where are you located?

Depending on your location, I may be able to recommend a shop to you. For example, if you were anywhere near Kansas City, you could go to the guy who posted pictures and all of the relevant info in that linked thread. He knows his stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I took a look at that link you posted however my transmission looks a little bit different. I forgot to mention that my trans has an oil pan on the bottom that you can take off. I haven't taken it off yet so I don't know if the sensors are in the oil pan area. That trans in the pictures in the link has the filter in the actual housing of the trans and not under the oil pan so I believe I have a different trans.

Also, I tried to reset the trans with the steps you provided but the trans still stays in that limp mode where you can't use the triponic functions.

You also may be right about the tcu but that is more expensive and I wanted to at least try replacing the speed sensor first since i already bought it. If the speed sensor is inside the oil pan area, then I have no problem replacing it there and replacing the filter while I'm take the pan off. I just want to be sure though that its there before i start doing all this work.

Oh and im in orange county california so Im a bit away from kansas but thanks for the offer.

Any more help though would be appreciated and thanks for responding

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nevermind. I found the senosr.

For those who want to know and have the same GHE transmission as mine, the sensor is located under the transmission mount. It's alot of work to change out the sensor as you have to remove the mount, air cleaner, battery case and the wheel and the half shaft to lower the tranny.

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
That is the vehicle speed sensor, which may or may not be your problem. There are two other transmission RPM sensors which are internal to the transmission, G182 and G195 which could easily be causing your problems as well. I took a good look at my Bentley manual and based on the diagram they show, it is not clear exactly where these sensors are. It does appear that they are above the valve body at minimum, there may be other things in the way as well.

I know there are some differences between the 09A and 09G, but they are very similar. The 09A does have a pan as well (valve body can be accessed but that is all) and your 09G actually does look similar to the 09A pictured in the link. Its just that the pictures show the case split, sitting on a workbench with the bellhousing side down. This is a different perspective than how you are seeing your transmission in the car.

Are you sure your filter is accessible by taking off the pan? There is no mention of it in the Bentley manual. These aren't even true "filters," they are just screens to catch any big chunks of metal or friction material...but if you have that floating around you have bigger issues. I'm not even sure why they bother to put in a filter, all it will do is maybe save the valve body in the event of another failure.

Good luck. Hopefully the VSS will fix your issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't remmove the oil pan so I don't know if there is a filter there on the valve body. I just presumed there was a filter there bolted on the valve body since most transmissions I've serviced that have an oil pan usually have a filter under the oil pan but you may be right that this trans might not have one there and you may have to crack open the tranny to get to it.

Anyhow, I changed the vss and I also changed the tcm which was located on top of the dash on the right passenger side and no luck. At first, the car started shifting really well after I replaced both the vss and tcm and I had a big smile on my face but then once the car got warm, it started slipping again and disengaging gears and getting stuck in gears all over again.

I'm just going to replace the tranny this week. I found a good deal on a used one at a junk yard that the beetle was crashed from behind and the trans only has about 40k miles on it. It should be done by the end of the week and I will post back with the results.

Besides buying the trans, I'm going to have to re buy all those liters of $30 a bottle trans oil from the dealer again :( and I'm probably going to replace the axels as they look worn and the boots are ripped.

I'll report back once i'm done

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So long story short it just ended up being the valve body. I removed the valve body and took it apart and a couple of the valve channels were clogged up. After cleaning the valve body good and replacing the trans fluid again, the car shifts very smooth like new again. If any of you had similiar problems where the trans would kick and shift erratically, try cleaning the valve body. Good luck to everyone. I shall post pics of my turbo convertible beetle sometime

·
Registered
15 Posts
Soooooo.....how hard was it to pull the valve body and clean it? What was involved? I just got an 03 V-dub Vert with the trans problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
same issue

I just wanted to see if your car transmission is still do right. I have the exact same car with same issues. Never did fin the speed senor. what did you clean the valve body with?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nevermind. I found the senosr.

For those who want to know and have the same GHE transmission as mine, the sensor is located under the transmission mount. It's alot of work to change out the sensor as you have to remove the mount, air cleaner, battery case and the wheel and the half shaft to lower the tranny.
I took all that out of my 1.8 turbo beetle and there is NO sensor to be found. I’ve seen several videos of it being there but mine has nothing. Codes p0840 and p0721 have my bug in limp mode. Help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts