NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stick just flops around like it is no longer working the transmission. I managed to ride the clutch to get it moving to get it close to home but at the moment it is stranded at the church across the street from my apartment.

is this a severed shift linkage or something?

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What happened, more info.
Not sure what else i can add? The car is stuck in 5th gear because the shifter is not connected to the transmission in some way. The shifter just lays there and you can wiggle it every which way with zero resistance. I had to rev the motor to 5k and slowly let out on the clutch to get it as far home as I could since I cannot take it out of 5th gear.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Sounds like the shift linkage came apart. I'd pop the hood and see what you can see.

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
Take a look at the top of the transmission. There are two cables that actuate the shift levers on the transmission. They are attached to the cables by a "bowden cable catch" that can break or the locking collars on them can snap and cause them to disconnect from the transmission.
Look for part number 46 in the attached exploded view and see if that is the problem. If so, you will need to replace one or both, I'd do both, and reset the proper linkage hookup before you can shift the transmission again.
If you need the cable catches they are part number 1J0 711 761 C
which should be the latest revision but may already have been superceded. You will also need part N 908 159 03 which is needed to position the cable and shifter handle correctly.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is sitting at the shop after being towed this morning ($55). They called me to say a cable and some other parts need to be ordered with a grand total of $650 ($200-250 of it parts) and it wouldn't be ready till Thursday at the earliest due to parts being ordered through local VW dealership.

All this the very next day after buying new tires with my saved up 'emergency fund'.

I'm sitting here with $300 in my pocket, no car, and a job that expects me never to be late. I'm close to wanting to just give up and shack up with some welfare mother in the projects and say F it to middle class stress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts