NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting my oil pan replaced (cracked by a pot hole) tomorrow afternoon.

Just wondering what the best brand of synthetic oil to use, and what type.

I have a 2001 1.8T GLS.

Thanks in advance.

2001 Turbonium

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts

·
Member For Life
50 Posts
I use the Mobil1 0W-40. It's a little harder to find but you
can usually get it at a real auto parts store. They usually have a few cases in back

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
VDUBYA said:
I use the Mobil1 0W-40. It's a little harder to find but you can usually get it at a real auto parts store. They usually have a few cases in back
Costco sells it...

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
Mobil 1 0W40 is the most widely available "European formula" synthetic around me, so by default I use it. I considered Amsoil, but the hassle of bulk ordering and not having a garage to put the big box o' oil in killed that thought.

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
I prefer 5W-30 Redline or Royal Purple, both hold up extremely well under intense prolonged conditions.

Unless you operate your vehicle in a very cold climate, I wouldn't recommend 0W-XX oil.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
run amsoil only in all of my vehicles, just kind of hard to find, and as far as the trans im running royal purple.

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
On the recommendation of the builder of my custom 6sp tranny, I use only VW/Audi's G50 full synthetic.

·
add a turbo in your life!
8 Posts
i have an 05 beetle and i am going to use amsoil for my 2 oil change. they have a european formula 5w-40 which meets all vw specs. go to the website and buy as little or as much as you want. www.amsoil.com

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
$7/qt (with shipping) is steep. I think of it like this, I don't beat up my car and Mobil 1, while not better than Amsoil, is still a good synthetic and will remain excellent if switched out every 5,000 miles or even 10k, whereas Amsoil is so great it can get to 35k... but no one ever pushes it. So if I continue to switch oil out at every 5k anyway, then the greatness of Amsoil is diminished. I would have to commit to changing oil out every 10k for Amsoil to suddenly be the cheaper and safer alternative... I'm still not ready to do that.

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
FYI

The amount of time/mileage that a motor oil should be used before it's changed is not just based on how long it's base stock or viscosity can hold up before break down.

You must consider two things that naturally occur which can take their toll on the oil as well as the engine.

1. Although an engine oil with a stronger base stock, film strength and superior lubricating characteristics is better able to shield moving parts from the naturally accumulation of dirt and contaminants, over time/mileage this is still a serious concern.

2. As mileage increases it is normal for small levels of fuel vapor to get into the crankcase and mix with the oil, over time this accelerates the break down process of the oil, dilutes it's remaining viscosity level thereby reducing it's ability to properly lubricate, if left long enough this can effect emmission levels causing other issues.

All oils are subject to the above two results if used for too long of a mileage period, three to five thousand miles is the the maximum that I would suggest leaving "ANY" oil in a daily drive before changing it and the filter.

A quality synthetic oil of your choice supplies better viscosity durability, film strength, heat resistance (less likely to coke) and much better lubricity than organic oils but recommended oil and filter change intervals should never be exceeded regardless.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
2001 Turbonium said:
Getting my oil pan replaced (cracked by a pot hole) tomorrow afternoon.

Just wondering what the best brand of synthetic oil to use, and what type.

I have a 2001 1.8T GLS.

Thanks in advance.

2001 Turbonium
Use only Mobil 1, OW40 European formulation full synthetic. It's the best oil I have been able to find. I have been using since it was released for sale and my 1.8 t only uses 1/4 quart every 5,000 oil change with 63,000 + miles. I never have to add any at all. The OW portion allows very quick and easy flow of the cold oil thru and to very critical areas. The 40 portion of this oil has the very best anti-shear ability. That means it stays on bearing surfaces, ect for along time after the engine is shut off so it is still there when you start it up again. It remains at 40 weight right up to almost the ignition point for this oil. Excellent for year round use here in Dallas. If I lived up north, I would use the OW30 weight from Mobil 1. It would be better in the colder climate..JK

1 - 20 of 22 Posts