NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I bought a 1998 vw beetle about a month ago, so far the heat was gone, 310 dollars later got that fixed... the headlight was out which was an easy fix... and the tail light is out.. which i also thought would be an easy fix. BUT... how a beetle works to get the tail light out is you pop the trunk, pop off the tail light cover then there is a plastic nut thing to unscrew to pop out the tail light housing.. BUT. the plastic nut just keeps turning and turning and turning and I cannot get it off to pop the tail light housing out to change the bulb. HOW do i get around this problem.. tired of driving around scared to get pulled over for a stupid damn issue.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Either the metal insert in the nut is spinning in the plastic or the stud that it tightens to is spinning. I believe that what the nut holds is a grounding connection for the tail light. It is not really a retaining piece. The bolt is a attached to a flexible metal strip that goes to the tail light. You may still be able to pop the tail light off the fender and peek in to see what the trouble is with the bolt. Or the whole problem may be that the grounding strip is broken and that is why the nut is spinning. See this thread for pictures of removing the tail lights:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/1088-tail-light-replacement-how.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts