NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
What really concerns me is the shop does not appear to be doing anything with the valve body based upon the break out of what you indicated.

The problem with these transmissions IS the valve bodies self destruct and this is what causes the hard shifting. THIS IS NORMAL AND A KNOWN PROBLEM!

There WILL be debris in the pan, however, some debris is NORMAL and acceptable. I would love to see what the magnets looked like. Most shops have the attitude if there is ANY metal in the pan, time for a rebuild. This is the way they stick the customers and make their money.

If this shop is clueless about the VW 6 Speed Tiptronic, they will do all this work, not address the main problem with the valvebody, then when the trans does not work correctly, the shop will then charge your for a valvebody rework AFTER the transmission rebuild.

So BE VERY CAREFUL moving forward here.

This is my take, have the valve body reworked, this will likely resolve your problems. If not, then you can address the bigger issue, the shop looks likely they are handling this exactly backwards from the way is should be handled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm new to the forum, but I've been rebuilding transmissions for 30 years now. Sorry to hear about you trans problems but You have been getting pretty good advice from the forum. you should only have let the shop replace the valve body for you. The overhaul wont make a difference. After spending $2500 with no v/body you'll have the same problem. As far as the tiptronic code you have, VW has a bulletin regarding that issue, I'll see if I can locate it for you. Good luck

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes I appreciate the advice from here. I forgot to update this so sorry! Ok from what the trans guy told me was that one of the pieces had broke off in there and thats what the rattling was a piece from the torq converter...and I ask him a few times was the valve body getting rebuilt too and he said yes I even explained it to him bout VW valve bodies and extended warranties on em too...monday he said he would call me to let me know when its ready...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yes I appreciate the advice from here. I forgot to update this so sorry! Ok from what the trans guy told me was that one of the pieces had broke off in there and thats what the rattling was a piece from the torq converter...and I ask him a few times was the valve body getting rebuilt too and he said yes I even explained it to him bout VW valve bodies and extended warranties on em too...monday he said he would call me to let me know when its ready...
Rattling, this is a new piece of information??

Also on these cars they are prone to rattle anyway due to a few things.

1. Catalytic Converter (not part of the transmission) breaking up and rattling, this is EASY to isolate, palm to the converter while cool and engine off you will hear the pieces inside the converter. Ask me how I know!!! 2.0L more prone to catalytic converter failures than 1.8t, but they both can have this problem.

2. Serpentine belt tensioner rattling. This can happen even with a new belt and tensioner. This is kind of a signature sound on these cars.

The Cat Converter and belt tensioner rattle does sound like it is coming from the transmission, but it is not.

So what engine is in your car 1.8t or 2.0?

If something broke inside the transmission/torque converter you would likely have a abnormal amount of metal in the trans pan.

I hope these guys know what they are talking about and what they are doing. A 6 speed Tiptronic valve body overhaul by itself with the part out of the car is around $500.

Not sure I am seeing a full valve body overhaul as part of this transmission rebuild unless they add another $500 onto the current quote.

What happens is the spool valves in the valve body wear out the bore and the bores have to be reamed out and oversize spool valves installed. Also the solenoids also wear out and need to be rebuilt. As I recall there are about 10 solenoids in this transmission. So the valve body is very labor intensive and the shop has to have the VW/Audi specific tools and a source for the parts unless they use a valve body exchange service.

Good luck and I hope they resolve everything to include the rattle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Transmission

I am so damn frustrated! I live in Iowa, my tranny has been giving me issues for the last year. Decide to take it in to the local AAMCO as everyone seems pleased, and they won't even LOOK at my transmission until I get a couple of the engine codes fix. They state it will take another few hours of diagnosis, a couple hundred more bucks, and that isn't even fixing anything.

I am so attached to this stupid car, but it is driving me absolutely crazy. I call a couple other Transmission places, and I am told NOPE, don't work on the Volkswagen, ANY Volkswagen. Seems Sioux Falls at Grahams is the only option, but that is an all day ride, well 2 day when you think of dropping it off and then going back up. 4 hours round trip, and no promise that it will even work when it is said and done.

I wonder if the 2013 tranny's are better than the old ones?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
What codes are they that show up?

And im exactly the same way this is my second beetle but first convertible..Ive loved these cars since I first seen one! I was told by my family not to get another but couldnt resist and now they are all like "told ya so!"

·
Registered
41 Posts
running lean codes ususally. I get one fixed and another will show up. What is aggravating is that AAMCO wants me to shell out a couple hundred just to fix the engine code problems. I don't want those fixerd right now, I want the tranny flushed or the valve body repaired/replaced. Nope, they won't do it because it might be giving me issues because of engine codes. BS! I

I DON'T WANT A DIFFERENT CAR!

I know, i know, a bit stupid I am.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
ClassyIrish

Here is the deal, you need your transmission valve body reworked.

You are looking about $1100 if you do not do it yourself.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE LET AAMCO GET NEAR THE CAR. Their standard MO is for the owner to pay them to disassemble the transmission, then they will give you an estimate and then they will credit the disassembly price back to the repair. Expect about a $4500 estimate from AAMCO and I am NOT kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAMCO will tell you that the entire transmission needs to be rebuit, the will not do just the valve body work!

How many miles is on your car and does it have the 6 speed Tiptronic transmission?

As for your lean codes, this is NORMAL. Any car over 8 years old will likely have all the rubber and plastic hoses and pipes under the hood crack and break. Likely you need the black and white small check valves under the hood replaced, a few vacuum hoses and the air pump output hose. Fuel filter could also be an issue here, if it has more than 30k miles on the fuel filter, change it. Most lean codes are caused by intake and/or crankcase air leaks. Pretty simple and cheap stuff to sort out.

Suggest you read this link, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967204 it is what I posted on a BMW forum, however, the non BMW tools will all work on a VW. You could also spend a bit more money on the VCDS tool, but it is computer based and a bit complicated for a novice.

This tool here for $46 is a good tool, but it does not provide real time data. Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Car Electronics

But you will likely need a few tools anyway. THEY WILL SAVE YOU THE MONEY YOU INVEST IN THEM THE FIRST TIME YOU USE THEM AND LISTEN TO THE KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE ON THE FORUM!!!!

You also need a scan tool of some sort if you plan on keeping this car. You cannot rely and be led around by the nose when your CEL comes on.

BTW, if you have not put a timing belt, thermostat and water pump in the car, if you plan on investing in the transmission repair, you MUST address this before your timing belt breaks and/or your engine overheats badly.

Welcome to the New Beetle!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 6 tiptronic
124,000 + miles, which I have put on 4,000
I paid 8900
Have put in near 3000 in repairs

Mechanic checked belt and pump blade. Thinks it has already been changed.
AAMCO wants for parts and labor for the valvebody 1600. I have a call in to the dealership to see what their cost estimate would be.

Have looked at trading it in, I owe 4000 on it, with a year and 3 months left to pay. I hate to trade in and someone else fall in love with the car and then find out the tranny issues.

I really do want to keep this car, but I am a girl without credit so I have to save, and I can afford 100 per month, which, if I start now at the 1600, I should have saved by the time the car is paid off. LOL

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
$1600 for a valve body repair is a bit on the high side, but exactly what I expect from AAMCO.

You can buy refurbished valve bodies all day long for just over $500.

To change the valve body, you are looking about 3 hours for someone that knows what they are doing plus fluid.

I think $1100 is more in line what someone should expect to pay.

The question is AAMCO installing a refurbished valve body or are they installing a new valve body?

Good luck, you need to shop around and see if you can find a reasonable shop that will work with you on this.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
UPDATE!!! Its not a good one either :(

Okay so got my trans rebuilt...drove it home which is about 35miles away it drove good..felt a tiny bit of slipping 2nd to 3rd. I drove it again next day in town which is about 2 stop lights..then it started slipping or should I say shifting hard 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd..then 5th to 6th...also hard down shifting as well. Then the brackets pop up in my digital display screen all lit up again. I took it back to the trans place that rebuilt it. Now they are saying its the tiptronic switch that needs to be replaced and thats what messed up the trans in the first place... so what to do now??? This is really stressful...I remember aamco telling me the codes for the tiptronic 1045? So does that mean the trans place is telling the truth or did I miss something? If any one has suggestions they are greatly appreciated!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Sounds like the valve body was never addressed and/or they screwed something up during the "rebuild"??

The "Tiptronic" switch is what I am assuming is the shifter they are referring to?? There are magnets that can come loose on the Tiptronic selector, but this rarely causes slipping or rough/shifts shifts.

If this shop has no clue about the VW trans, THEY ALL need valve body work.

If they did not repair/replace the valve body, this is likely the problem. I have 6k miles on my reworked valve body with no issues.

Likely you only needed the valve body sorted out anyway?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im having the same problem with my wifes car.So if im understanding what your saying is to check the level of tranny fluid,and if it is good look for a place to rebuild my valve body for around $400-$500,that is to say if i have it pulled out.My questions are;is it very hard to get all the wireing back right,and could i rebuild it myself if i have help from a machinist friend? Thanks for any help. We are in the same position you were in the car is worth more to keep with doing the repairs than selling it, we do like the car!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
6 speed valve body rework is closer to $500-$550 depending on where and who does the work. 4 & 5 speeds might be a bit cheaper and usually the 6 speeds do not have a lot of valve body wiring harness issues like the 4 speeds.

You cannot rebuild the valve body yourself with any reason of performance. If anything is put back together wrong then you will have a lot of problems. Possible broken springs, worn solenoids, worn spool valve bores. Most shops have special reams to oversize the common spool valve bores and they have oversize spool valves they install.

The wiring is not back if you take pictures, draw a diagram and label the wires.

Also the hardness will also keep its shape quite well, but do not rely on the harness shape to get you back in service. There are also a few wiring clamps that need to be located in the correct position, they go under certain bolts that hold the valve body.

There is the shift actuator that has a sheet metal locking tab and 1 nut that needs to be removed. As I recall there are about 12-14 wires, mostly solenoids and temp sensor and a pressure sensor. There is 1 large spring and piston that will fall out of the trans once the valve body is down, this can be held back in place with some Vaseline when you go to reassemble.

The valve body was heavier and deeper than I expected, but is only held in by about 10 bolts, pretty easy to actually remove and replace in my opinion, however, I have rebuilt many automatic transmissions over the years and I felt it was pretty easy except for getting the wires disconnect from the solenoids without breaking the caps. But if you break any solenoid caps, most shops repair/replace them anyway as needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok. Sounds like i can do it. For checking the fluid level you probably have to put it on a lift.Im thinking if i put it on ramps it will throw of the proper level reading. also i was planning on working on it under ramps.Ill call some shops tomarrow, maybe volks shops and tranny houses.
Thanks kelly

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem with my 2003 Tiptronic Trans

You mentioned replacing the solenoids on the valve body, are these available and where would I buy them. The car has 150,000 but it has been well maintained, we are also having the problem with the clunking when the car is warm.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
julie4985,

It is more than just a solenoid problem with the valve bodies. There are issue with both the valve body and the solenoids and it is best to remove the valve body and ship it out for repairs, or install a reworked valve body. Usually in either case the solenoids are checked and reworked/replaced as needed when the valve body is rebuild.

Again the hardest part of this job is understanding how to disconnect the wiring connectors from the solenoids without breaking the top caps, however, many shops have solutions for repairing the top caps if they break, making sure all the wiring is connected back up and routed correctly and understanding and finding the adapter to fill the trans from the bottom of the engine.

In my opinion the rest of the job is actually pretty easy, but I have also fully rebuilt transmissions in my past life as well so pulling a valve body was 2nd nature to me. There are only about 12 bolts or so to drop the valve body. Some different lengths that should be kept organize to simplify reinstallation. There are a few brackets for the wiring harness as well.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts