NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting tired of changing CD's and was thinking of buying a Phatbox/Phatnoise:confused: , but don't see them on VW's website anymore. Does anyone know if the dealers are still offering them?

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
IgottaBug! said:
I'm getting tired of changing CD's and was thinking of buying a Phatbox/Phatnoise:confused: , but don't see them on VW's website anymore. Does anyone know if the dealers are still offering them?
Some are, some aren't.
Not sure why DriverGear wouldn't list 'em anymore... unless they're just really pushing the Voyager DVD stuff now.

But you can still get PhatBoxes at 1stvwparts.com, or a number of dealers.

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know why either:confused: I checked VW's website and the only thing that they list is the cable. 1stvwparts has them, but now it's time to see if I can find it for a better price. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to chime in. Thanks!

·
Missing Navel!
14 Posts
They aren't selling them anymore, because they don't fit in the new "bodystyles" that have come out. :( I was told even for the 05 GTI, that they would have to cut out part of the carpet or something to get it installed. :(

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A couple of VW dealers seem to be selling what they have left over on Ebay at some pretty good prices. I've read some posts on here that advise against some of the deals found there, but I dug a little bit and found a couple of complete kits. Thing is, the Audi kits are cheaper than the VW kits:confused:

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wound up buying a system off of Ebay as I mentioned earlier from a VW dealer in PA. If interested on how everything went, send me a PM.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
skooby_girl said:
They aren't selling them anymore, because they don't fit in the new "bodystyles" that have come out. :( I was told even for the 05 GTI, that they would have to cut out part of the carpet or something to get it installed. :(
I would have to call :bs:eek:n that one.
If the factory CD changer will fit (and I'm 99% sure that it does), then the PhatBox will fit. Fact is, most of the time when the dealer installs the PhatBox/CD Changer, they "cut out" part of the carpet anyway.

And yeah, IGottaBug... keep us posted as to how it turns out!

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And yeah, IGottaBug... keep us posted as to how it turns out![/QUOTE]

No problem, got the tracking # today and the system will be here on Wed. Ordered a custom mount from masanski (fellow org member) the same night, but that probably won't be here as quick. I can hardly wait to get rid of my CD changer!

·
Registered
57 Posts
:D I love mine. I had it installed right away when I got the car. I am NOT mechanically inclined so I got it at the dealer and had them install it. But it has quite working twice. The first time they said I must had a virus in the cars computer due to downloading something from the internet onto the disk. They were surprised when I told them EVERYTHING on the disk was from my personal cd's. They never did figure it out and finally just pulled the plug and reset it. The second time they exchanged the unit for me. I have not had any problems since but that wasn't that long ago. I am still thrilled with it though. I am also glad I had them put it in so if I have any more problems it is on them. Hope you enjoy your new system. Oh, the audible stuff is great too! There was a particular book I have wanted to read for a long time and never got around to it so I put the audio book on the disk and listened to it on my last trip down state. It was really great to have someone read a whole novel to me at my leisure. Like I said, ENJOY!

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
squish37 said:
:D I love mine. I had it installed right away when I got the car. I am NOT mechanically inclined so I got it at the dealer and had them install it. But it has quite working twice. The first time they said I must had a virus in the cars computer due to downloading something from the internet onto the disk. They were surprised when I told them EVERYTHING on the disk was from my personal cd's. They never did figure it out and finally just pulled the plug and reset it. The second time they exchanged the unit for me. I have not had any problems since but that wasn't that long ago. I am still thrilled with it though. I am also glad I had them put it in so if I have any more problems it is on them. Hope you enjoy your new system. Oh, the audible stuff is great too! There was a particular book I have wanted to read for a long time and never got around to it so I put the audio book on the disk and listened to it on my last trip down state. It was really great to have someone read a whole novel to me at my leisure. Like I said, ENJOY!
Thanks! I'm kind of squeamish on the whole audible book thing, cuz I'm afraid that it will put me to sleep. I'll be sure to run my anti-virus before I install it in my car, great tip, thanks again:)

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got my Phatnoise system via UPS yesterday! Everything arrived in great shape and as the Ebay seller described it (NIB)! The only thing that I didn't get was the mounting kit, which I knew. I think that was another $15, but in all the system cost me $210 w/shipping vs. the $300+ on other sites. If interested, the name of the seller is Mikan Motors, which is located in Butler, PA.

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it's all installed! I got the custom mount in the mail today and after taking care of some things around the house, I had it all installed in less than an hour!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts