NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is interested in a new 2014 Beetle TDI. I have no idea where to start negotiations. Are these models selling under invoice? What discount (from invoice) is typical or even possible? I recently purchased a Jeep product for +5 discount from INVOICE. Are the Beetles priced that aggressively? I appreciate any help, PM me if preferred. Thanks.

·
V-Dub lover since 1968
12 Posts
I just bought a new 2013 TDi two weeks ago from a dealer in the SF Bay Area. I used TrueCar.com to get a guaranteed quote from the dealer first on a 2014 and it was a pretty aggressive discount off of MSRP. When I got to the dealer, they showed me a 2013 with more options than the 2014 I was set to buy and came in with an even more aggressive offer of $23,350 ($26,699 MSRP & $30,300 Dealer asking price) needless to say I bit. This is a great ride and after spending 12 great years in a 99 2.0 that averaged around 23mpg it's pretty fun to be getting around 35+ so far. Try TrueCar.com and good luck to you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... they showed me a 2013 with more options than the 2014 I was set to buy and came in with an even more aggressive offer of $23,350 ($26,699 MSRP & $30,300 Dealer asking price)

Thanks for the reply. I am a bit confused however. What justification did the dealer have to ask $30,300 for a vehicle with MSRP of $26,699? At list value, I think you did well with an estimated 12% from off list, which is 5-6% off dealer invoice. If there were dealer added extras to make up the $30,300 asking price, you received those virtually free. Congratulations.

Thanks again...

·
V-Dub lover since 1968
12 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I am a bit confused however. What justification did the dealer have to ask $30,300 for a vehicle with MSRP of $26,699? At list value, I think you did well with an estimated 12% from off list, which is 5-6% off dealer invoice. If there were dealer added extras to make up the $30,300 asking price, you received those virtually free. Congratulations.

Thanks again...
I think it might have something to do with the fact that I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. We have the highest fuel prices in the whole country and any high mpg vehicle (TDI, hybrid, etc.) nearly always includes a dealer markup above MSRP. I know that when I was looking at dealer inventories online the TDIs were all among their most highly priced cars. I'm currently paying $3.91 per gal. for diesel and prices are actually down right now. So far 34.5 mpg on tank one, 35.5 on tank two in combined city and highway...I'm pretty happy with that and I know it will go up as the engine breaks in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts