NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
We've only got 4 Minutes!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- I have a '99 Beetle with 209K miles. I have enjoyed driving the car, but I have been having problems after problems... usually the small and pricey problems.

I'm looking for advice on what I should do with my Beetle.
Most recently, I noticed that when driving over 50mph, my RPMs would get higher and wouldn't 'catch up', meaning I'd had to release my foot off the pedal in order for it to 'breathe' and catch up. The dealer can inspect my transmission for $128 and tell me what the issue is. I'm assuming I would either need a new or rebuilt transmission. Back in the day I used to drive the car with low transmission oil for months and I'm surprised i'm still driving it today. Also, I noticed my fans turns on a lot. Mostly when just driving in the city and my engine tends to smell like burnt oil or coolant. Anyways...

If i get a new transmission either way, that's going to be around $2K. Do you think it's worth it fixing it this old and so much miles? I mean i'm in a tough situation where i can't buy a car because of my income and credit. I don't really know what to do. Looking for advice.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Honestly, no, it's not worth putting 2k into, when it is only worth around that (and probably less with the mileage). Keep the fluids topped up, drive gentle, and start shopping. It had a good run, it's almost 15 years old, with lots of miles.

·
We've only got 4 Minutes!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*CORRECTION*

I found a 99 Beetle at a local car junk yard... and they offered me $900 for the transmission. The problem is i don't know if it's good or not.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You should "offer them" 700 and they should put a 90 day warranty with it. Then see if they will give you a 12 month warranty for another 100 dollars. And find out if they are a PRP certified recycling center, if they are then their parts are usually good.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts