NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Thanks for stopping in to read my post. My Girlfriend has a 2001 2.0 Auto. Just friday I got the dreaded call "my car is making a funny sound." Well i got up to see it and the whirring sound sounds to be coming from the transmission and it only really seams to be happening when you put the car in reverse and the back into drive and then CLUNK and it goes away. SO I talked to some people and they said it sounded like a valve body but this sounds like something slipping and wearing against something else. Yesterday i was driving it around now sometimes when you go to break and it downshifts and it starts making the whirring sound. so some of my car friends said maybe it the flywheel. Urgh so about 9:30 last night my girlfriend was headed back to college and the car just died on her at a stop sign. When we got the bug towed back to the house and popped the hood the power steering cap was loose and there was power steering fluid all on the top cover of the engine and I don't know why and when I try to crank it, it trys to turn over but doesnt want to fire.
Please help Her dad is calling junk yards to see if they have room for the car and I cant let that happen. Help me out please.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Did you check the timing belt?

Have you tried to change the fluid and filter on the trans? Sounds like it could be starting to really fail though, which isn't all that uncommon. The TDI Jetta my husband bought earlier this year had a dead auto at 114k.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for stopping in to read my post. My Girlfriend has a 2001 2.0 Auto. Just friday I got the dreaded call "my car is making a funny sound." Well i got up to see it and the whirring sound sounds to be coming from the transmission and it only really seams to be happening when you put the car in reverse and the back into drive and then CLUNK and it goes away. SO I talked to some people and they said it sounded like a valve body but this sounds like something slipping and wearing against something else. Yesterday i was driving it around now sometimes when you go to break and it downshifts and it starts making the whirring sound. so some of my car friends said maybe it the flywheel. Urgh so about 9:30 last night my girlfriend was headed back to college and the car just died on her at a stop sign. When we got the bug towed back to the house and popped the hood the power steering cap was loose and there was power steering fluid all on the top cover of the engine and I don't know why and when I try to crank it, it trys to turn over but doesnt want to fire.
Please help Her dad is calling junk yards to see if they have room for the car and I cant let that happen. Help me out please.
Not turning over doesn't sound like a transmission issue. Could be timing belt related.
The automatic transmissions in those early Beetle's were just horrible and if the fluid wasn't changed then it turns black and just destroys first the valve body and then the transmission itself. If it is the transmission it will cost a bundle to fix. Some places will charge 5000+ dollars. The timing belt failing isn't much better but you can get away with a rebuilt head for about 2000 dollars. You can try and change out the valve body which will run about 1700 or around 700 if you can do it yourself. But first I would check to see which problem you actually have.

Good Luck either way!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Why not just get a rebuilt transmission? Just a thought.
It's the only way that you can get them. Those O1M transmissions haven't been made "NEW" for a loooong time.
There are some places that may still have some somewhere in storage. I know of one place actually. Anyway, most transmission shops or dealerships or VW shops will charge you $5000+ for a rebuilt transmission for that car. Not worth it in my opinion. I would first check if it even is the transmission. Could be something totally unrelated.
Timing belt, tensioner, water pump. But if it is the transmission it is going to be expensive to fix.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The Patrs Place used to sell them new for 1995.00 + a 400.00 refundable core.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide App
I haven't found the link to that for quite some time. Perhaps they ran out of their stock since those tranny's keep breaking down. ;)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It get worse!!!!!!!!! SO I told her that its ok to drive down from school. I drove it around and it didnt do anything that scared me the noise went away after a thud on acceleration. Well sunday rolls around and she leaves for school and the car just shuts off. So I get it towed back to the house. The next day I left work early and went to inspect and I pulled the timing belt cover off and the teeth on the timing belt were shaved off. Turns out that the mounting point on the motor for the motor mount broke off, which allowed the motor to tilt and made the timing belt rub on the motor mount and the water pump pulley actually ate into the motor mount. So its an AEG motor and it got off timing and I suspect it bent the valves, cause its an interference motor. So her dad plans to put it in the shop for a motor and tranny swap after the holidays.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
It get worse!!!!!!!!! SO I told her that its ok to drive down from school. I drove it around and it didnt do anything that scared me the noise went away after a thud on acceleration. Well sunday rolls around and she leaves for school and the car just shuts off. So I get it towed back to the house. The next day I left work early and went to inspect and I pulled the timing belt cover off and the teeth on the timing belt were shaved off. Turns out that the mounting point on the motor for the motor mount broke off, which allowed the motor to tilt and made the timing belt rub on the motor mount and the water pump pulley actually ate into the motor mount. So its an AEG motor and it got off timing and I suspect it bent the valves, cause its an interference motor. So her dad plans to put it in the shop for a motor and tranny swap after the holidays.
Ouch! :( That is going to cost Big Money. Almost easier and cheaper to sell the Beetle for parts and get a new car.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I wish it wasnt so but she has a strong emotional connection to it.
Just get her another Beetle. One where the timing belt has been changed recently and one with a Manual transmission ;)
Or if you don't want to worry about timing belts and the most horrible transmission every built by VW then get her a 2006 or newer VW Beetle with 2.5 liter engine and 6 speed tiptronic transmission. Those Motors have a timing chain and the transmission is more durable than the previous crap VW built so you will see fewer breakdowns and less maintenance.
In the long run it will be a lot cheaper than putting money into the money pit that you have now.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Just get her another Beetle. One where the timing belt has been changed recently and one with a Manual transmission ;)
Its never the same. Trust me, I know. I didn't look at any NBs after mine was totaled, and I'm glad I didn't. I did drive a friend's NB a few weeks later, and it definitely didn't have the same spark. Its not always that easy :eek: I would have kept and repaired my NB a thousand times over if I could have.

I wonder if this is a case where the timing belt was done in the past and the motor mount bolts weren't replaced...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
would not changing to bolts cause the engine block its self to break? And ITs all her parents. I can only put my input in.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
would not changing to bolts cause the engine block its self to break?
:confused: HUH? The motor mount bolts need to be replaced anytime the mounts are removed since they are one time only stretch bolts. You need to remove the passenger side Motor mount in order to perform the timing belt service. It is feasible that someone perhaps already did the timing belt service and didn't replace the motor mount bolts. The bolts could than have failed which caused the problem that you are now facing.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
It is feasible that someone perhaps already did the timing belt service and didn't replace the motor mount bolts. The bolts could than have failed which caused the problem that you are now facing.
Hey, that's what I said :p

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
stretch bolts

well Technically you could re-use stretch bolts (but not recommanded) just don't re-stretch them again another 90 degrees the secound time when you put them back in again. Just torque to the specified value in the book and leave alone, then replace with new bolts at your convenience later........You didn't hear that from me..:p

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
well Technically you could re-use stretch bolts (but not recommanded) just don't re-stretch them again another 90 degrees the secound time when you put them back in again. Just torque to the specified value in the book and leave alone, then replace with new bolts at your convenience later........You didn't hear that from me..:p
Technically you could use 87 Octane in a 1.8T engine but that would not be a good idea :p
Sure you can reuse the motor mount bolts but why gamble with your safety? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts