NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jojo's Malc
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a few (!) people have been having trouble with the window dropping feature going a bit wrong - my Beetle went in for it's MOT last week absolutely fine but since it came out it now locks itself within seconds if you don't put the key in the ignition when you get in, (highly embarrassing when I was in it and the alarm went off...even more embarrassing when it locked itself with the keys, but not me, in it). It also no longer drops its window when the ignition is turned off and the door opened which means the window is now outside the roof when the door shuts. I can get round this by unlocking and locking it again - but its not ideal! The mechanic who did the MOT is of course saying it was nothing to do with him...but it was fine when it went in! Does anyone know...

a. Could it have been something they did when they MOT'd it?
b. Anything I can do to fix it and avoid being ripped off by the dealership?

Thanks very much!

Jojo

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I've attached the window reset information from the '04, the '05 is the same, I don't have an '06 Owner's Manual, but it is probably the same. Give it a shot, see if it fixes the problem. Enlighten me, what is an MOT?

MORAV

Attachments

·
Jojo's Malc
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Morav

Thanks Morav for your speedy reply, I'll give it go. MOT is Ministry of Transport Reminder (I think!) - its a compulsory test we have to get done yearly in order to validate the insurance - its supposed to make sure your car is safe to be on the road. In my case its just ruined my lock!

Jo

·
Jojo's Malc
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
File won't open!!

Dear Morav - the file you attached will not open on my computer for some reason - any way you could attach it as a word doc or anything? sorry to be a pain, Jojo

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I checked and it open's fine. Not sure why you should have a problem if you have Adobe Reader on your computer. Some ppl can't open .pdf's on mobiles. I can't turn a .pdf into a Word doc. Other types, but I think you'd have more trouble. Try downloading Adobe Reader 9, your Adobe Reader may be corrupted. I can also try attaching it in an email through real world email if you want to p/m me your email address.

MORAV

·
Registered
196 Posts
MOT includes checks on emissions, brakes, lights etc and then checks all over looking for rust and deteriorated components like suspension or exhaust. Tyres (tires) need to have at least 1.6mm of tread to be legal and the test is a pass or fail but items can also be advised on, bearing in mind this is often the one time a year cars are actually looked at we expect to see advisories for any tyres under 3mm of tread or if there is a small leak anywhere.

I don't think anything included in an MOT could have caused your faults though.

Kate

·
Registered
85 Posts
if the top resetting (as morave suggested) doesn't get rid of you issue , it sounds to me like a door microswitch......the door doesn't know that its open or closed, and it will get more erratic as time goes on.....

there are several good links on this forum to your door microswitch issues......check it out, i'd be thats your issue...

be careful with the window, push the very top edge in as you close your door until you get the switch issue fixed (or the top reset) if you don't you will start to chafe the eding of your top...this ees no ghouda!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts