NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys i got the bently manual but its no help to a beginner for door adjusting...so that being said is there better drawings or links(with pix lol) that show what it takes to get to top and bottom screws,what size and type they are? i mean the manual just saz loosen top and bottom screws and to me it looks like the top screws are behind windshield trim? and the bottom screws are in the a-pillar in the book but i`ll be damn if i can see em and dont want to break anything just to loosen...so better instructions and drawings would be greatly appreciated,i replaced the drivers door with another but that was easy cause it was just on pins,but the new door is sagging and needs to be adjusted,thnx again for any and all help.just a footnote to explain again if u look at the bottom hinge i cant tell if u take off the fender or inside panels&hood latch to get to the bottom hinge bolts? and the manual doesnt tell u how to get to ethier?

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Hi Troy,
I have not seen any diagrams on replacing a NB door but from working on other car doors I can offer two small pieces of advice that can make the job much easier. I have replaced door pins on a Mustang 5.0 - heavy - and a Pontiac TA - super heavy - and in both cases I had to open the doors as far out as they would open and then support the open door with a padded jack, placing the jack as far out as I could. This made the job 100% easier. I am certain that with some Googling you can find a post from a gearhead somewhere that has done the same repair you are doing. Having a second pair of hands to support the door as you work with and remove the pins is also a great help.

Hope this is helpful,
Chef

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hi Troy,
I have not seen any diagrams on replacing a NB door but from working on other car doors I can offer two small pieces of advice that can make the job much easier. I have replaced door pins on a Mustang 5.0 - heavy - and a Pontiac TA - super heavy - and in both cases I had to open the doors as far out as they would open and then support the open door with a padded jack, placing the jack as far out as I could. This made the job 100% easier. I am certain that with some Googling you can find a post from a gearhead somewhere that has done the same repair you are doing. Having a second pair of hands to support the door as you work with and remove the pins is also a great help.

Hope this is helpful,
Chef
This is pretty much what I did when I had to replace my top hinge, I put a jack under the door to get the hinge in place and the bolts hand tight. I then carefully closed the door and checked the alignment, reopened, adjusted, tested, adjusted, until I got it as good as it could be.

One thing, use new bolts. They are stretch bolts and don't hold as well after reuse and may be why you're not aligned as that was what happened on my car (my bolt went a step further and the top broke right off).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
door adjusting

well thnx for the input guys,but janitz thats just it i mean the door is on but i need to adjust the hinges from the body side not the door side,and theres nothing i can find that tells me how to get to the hinges to loosen em from the body side,i dont even know if i have to take off the drivers fender to get to the bottom door hinge bolts.theres no adjustment on the bolts on the door,so im assuming the body side has slots or something where u can move the hinge one way or the other right? so anyway if somebody could just tell me what i have to take off to get to the hinge bolts top and bottom on the body side i`d greatly appreciate it,in the meantime while im waiting i`ll keep searching to see if theres any other diagrams or better directions than the bently manual.thnx alot troy oh and p.s when i replaced the door i never had to loosen or remove any bolts exept the grubscrews cause its on a pin no need to remove hinges thnx

·
Registered
950 Posts
Did you replace the door because of an accident? There's really no reason that the side of the hinge attached to the body would have moved unless it was damaged in an accident.

Anyway, to get to the bottom hinge bolts, remove the front wheel, remove the wheel well liner, undo the bolts/screws holding the fender in place and pull it out away from the car. You can get to the bolts down there now.

Top bolts, remove the A-piller trim in the car, there they are.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
door adjusting

hey janitz i had the below all ready to post then saw urs,so i`ll answer it 1st then copy what i had ok? had to replace the door cause of faulty mechanisims couldnt get it open and didnt want to cut off the latch from backseat side so anyway i cut it out to get to the lock and open it and then just replace the door and mechanisim,the old door was aligned perfectly but when i got the new door(junkyard door)pins lined up good and it was just to low on the handle side so it does need adjusting now. and heres my next question i had copied already lol thnx troy and p.s thnx i was going to pull off the lower a-pillar trim and hood latch to see if the bolts to the bottom hinge were there :)
ok,lets try asking this way,can any of u tell me just to adjust the drivers door(not remove it) which hinges do i loosen? the body side or the door side? all i need to do is lift up the end closest to the rear of the car its sagging? so appreciate any help?

·
Registered
950 Posts
hey janitz i had the below all ready to post then saw urs,so i`ll answer it 1st then copy what i had ok? had to replace the door cause of faulty mechanisims couldnt get it open and didnt want to cut off the latch from backseat side so anyway i cut it out to get to the lock and open it and then just replace the door and mechanisim,the old door was aligned perfectly but when i got the new door(junkyard door)pins lined up good and it was just to low on the handle side so it does need adjusting now. and heres my next question i had copied already lol thnx troy and p.s thnx i was going to pull off the lower a-pillar trim and hood latch to see if the bolts to the bottom hinge were there :)
ok,lets try asking this way,can any of u tell me just to adjust the drivers door(not remove it) which hinges do i loosen? the body side or the door side? all i need to do is lift up the end closest to the rear of the car its sagging? so appreciate any help?
Do what Chef Nails and I said to do earlier.

1. Go order two new bolts for the top hinge to door connection, not the body, not the lower hinge, two 12 point bolts for the top hinge.
2. Open the door
3. Support it with a jack at its current height
4. Remove the old bolts with your 12 point tool.
5. Install new bolts, do not tighten.
6. Raise your door a little using the jack.
7. Hand tighten the bolts, which means do not torque them yet.
8. Test fit
9. Repeat until the fit is right.
10. Tighten the bolts and then torque them down. I don't have the correct torque values but couldn't use them anyway when I did this as I couldn't use a torque wrench. I just made sure they were tight and then gave it a quarter turn extra.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
door adjusting

cool thats exactly what i needed step by step thnx alot to both of u i`ll let u know how it worked out probably be a few daz cause i have to wait on the bolts thnx again:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
door adjust

well guys got bolts in and got door adjusted alls well,but just for anybody that might need it in the future,i was adjusting the door side hinges,found out theres alot more adjustment on the body side thats what i ended up having to do to get it right,thnx for all the advice and assist just a p.s if ur interested selling my bently manual in the parts and accessories section. thnx:eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts