VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just purchased a used 2001 VW Beetle GLX with 94K miles. It will be my daughter's car to take away to college. I've never had a Beetle before and I don't work on my wife's '13 Passat that much, so this is all kind of new to me.

When I bought the car I found that it had a P0411 code and I could see that it was missing a hose that should connect to the air cleaner box. The previous owner had covered the air cleaner port with duct tape (nice). But, the car was a really good deal...

Anyway, I've been researching the forums and combing the internet trying to find exactly what the hose is. I'm pretty sure it is the intake hose that connects to the air cleaner to the secondary air injection pump. But, I haven't seen a picture of the thing to know if I've got the right hose when I go to buy it. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Better yet, can anyone show me a pic of the hose? Or maybe explain how/where it connects to the pump? I haven't been able to see the pump yet, so I'm not sure what I'm getting into yet.

Thanks in advance!

Next step, clean that engine compartment!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yep, it is the intake/fresh air hose to the air pump. There are 2 hoses to the air pump that are kind of similar. Plastic corrugated hoses that are NOT cheap. They have squeeze connectors on both engine.

1.8t, well the FIRST thing you need to do is replace the timing belt, water pump and thermostat.

Then check and see if the motor is sludged.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, it is the intake/fresh air hose to the air pump. There are 2 hoses to the air pump that are kind of similar. Plastic corrugated hoses that are NOT cheap. They have squeeze connectors on both engine.

1.8t, well the FIRST thing you need to do is replace the timing belt, water pump and thermostat.

Then check and see if the motor is sludged.
Thanks for the confirmation. So, I found an upper and a lower hose on the VW parts site. They look different. I suppose one goes to the air cleaner and the other goes to the combi valve? I have looked around and I haven't seen which one is which. Which one should I use? Seems like I should use the upper hose. Is that right?

EMISSION COMPONENTS.. Fits: 2001 Volkswagen Beetle GLX 1.8L Automatic | Volkswagen Parts 2GO

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
16795/P0411/001041 - Ross-Tech Wiki (directly related to missing hose)

You might check and see if the air pump is still intact and the two hoses that connect to it:

Connector hose. Secondary Air Injection Pump Hose.
Part Number: 1C0131126

Secondary Air Injection Pump Hose
Part Number: 06A131372
Lower; 1.8 LITER; lower

EMISSION COMPONENTS.. Fits: 2001 Volkswagen Beetle GLX | Volkswagen of America, Inc.

In your case; I believe you need the "upper" hose:

Connector hose. Secondary Air Injection Pump Hose.
Part Number: 1C0131126
Upper; 1.8 LITER; upper

For a timing belt and waterpump kit; check out these guys: www.blauparts.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Missing air hose

Thanks for the info, y'all. I found the hose online for about $55 and I can get it local at the dealer for $75. Yikes! Or, $25 from China... Sigh. Since we need to get this car past inspection and on the road asap, guess I'll be swinging by the dealer today.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might check and see if the air pump is still intact and the two hoses that connect to it:
Well, you were spot on with this recommendation... The air pump is gone. :mad: So, looks like I'll go buy the lower hose, too. Need to see if I can find an air pump. Not sure how it all goes together since I didn't take it apart, either. Man, that's frustrating.

So, where would I look for the combi valve? Is it kind of under the MAF sensor? I see an open port that looks like it could be the combi valve... The thing that is throwing me is that there is a vacuum hose in the area that is plugged with a screw. Shouldn't that be connected to the combi valve? I can't see where it connects.

Does the air pump only bolt in one place? The videos on youtube all seem to show Jetta or Passat air pumps, and those have three bolts. I can't see three mounting points under the intake manifold, or whatever that big metal thing in front of the engine is. LOL

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Yeah, people; seem to remove all this stuff, without understanding what it does or fix it correctly. The air pump; has a bracket, three rubber mounts and the two hoses. A junkyard; might be a good idea or checking; the classifieds section, for used parts.

Secondary Air Injection Pump Bracket
Part Number: 06A131085D

air pump mounts:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+...ome..69i57.16135j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Secondary Air Injection Pump . From Chassis/VIN 4DY120001; From Chassis/VIN 8DY100001
1.8 LITER; COUPE, 1.8 LITER.
06A959253E
$665.00
06A959253E
1 Secondary Air Injection Pump . To Chassis/VIN 4DY120001; To Chassis/VIN 8DY100000
1.8 LITER.
078906601M
$582.00

as for the air pump; a used one or you could go with some of the cheaper aftermarket ones.

Here is a video; explaining the air injection system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj-_bAiPq9Y

This page shows the location of the combi valve:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/35490-bad-timing-belt-need-head-rework.html

quick video; showing location of air pump/bracket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pS4ww7Yrrk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the great info and the links! I really appreciate it. I was starting to wonder if there was a bracket. Kind of a circular thing...

I ran to a salvage yard and picked up a pump that had the rubber mounts still attached. Unfortunately, I didn't ask about a mounting bracket. D'OH! I have the hoses, now, too. So, should be getting close!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
As mentioned there is a pump bracket, 3 Allen head screws that go through the intake. I also think there is bracket for the dipstick tube as well??

I will try to get some pictures on my car if I have time, I have the bracket out now sorting the PCV system and replacing hoses.

Junkyard tends to be the best approach because finding and paying big money for all the small things is a PITA.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As mentioned there is a pump bracket, 3 Allen head screws that go through the intake. I also think there is bracket for the dipstick tube as well??

I will try to get some pictures on my car if I have time, I have the bracket out now sorting the PCV system and replacing hoses.

Junkyard tends to be the best approach because finding and paying big money for all the small things is a PITA.
Thanks for the input. I'm actually sorting the PCV system as well. The hose that comes off the valve cover is torn and the valve housing itself is really gunked up. Trying to figure out the hose routing now, because it doesn't look right to me... I think the PO did something with those hoses as well as removing the secondary air pump and associated hoses. sigh...

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The large 90+ adapter that goes into the engine block above the oil filter WILL be cracked and will leak vacuum. The PCV valve and the rubber "T" WILL need to be replaced.

You WILL need the air pump removed to do this work, the pump can stay in the engine compartment but the bracket will need to be removed so you can work around in this area.

I am not sure I would jump all over the silicon replacement, the most expensive part is the molded hose on the valve cover, but these hold up better than you may think.

The large 90+ adapter that goes in the block near the oil filter will also need a large O-ring. When this adapter cracks, it creates a vacuum leak that will cause the PCV and crankcase ventilation to not work as well as it should. This causes even more sludge related problems.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The large 90+ adapter that goes into the engine block above the oil filter WILL be cracked and will leak vacuum. The PCV valve and the rubber "T" WILL need to be replaced.

You WILL need the air pump removed to do this work, the pump can stay in the engine compartment but the bracket will need to be removed so you can work around in this area.

I am not sure I would jump all over the silicon replacement, the most expensive part is the molded hose on the valve cover, but these hold up better than you may think.

The large 90+ adapter that goes in the block near the oil filter will also need a large O-ring. When this adapter cracks, it creates a vacuum leak that will cause the PCV and crankcase ventilation to not work as well as it should. This causes even more sludge related problems.
I'm going to go ahead and tackle this stuff today or tomorrow. Are there specific parts I need (other than the PCV), or can I get standard pressure hose and joints at the auto parts store?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, I took out the air cleaner and MAF to get a better look at things. I have a few questions just to make sure I have things figured out...

1) I see an open port on the side of the engine, right below the intake hose. Is this the combi valve? I circled it in the photo below. Is this what I hook the lower air pump hose to?

2) Hanging right next to what I think is the combi valve is a vacuum line that has been cut/torn and plugged with a screw. Any idea what this is or where it should connect? The next photo shows the end with the screw and the one after shows almost the whole line where it goes off across the engine over the coil packs.

3) In the above photo you can see that the crankcase breather hose has a tear in it, right where it diverts to the valve cover. The hose goes down to the "T" where the PCV is, and the other end goes back toward the firewall and into a hockey puck sort of thing. Is that what it is supposed to do? Is the hockey puck the diverter valve?

Thanks for all the help! I think if I can get these questions sorted right, I should be able to get this bug running in time to get the inspection and registration! Hoping to give it to my daughter this weekend!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You found the Combi valve, the hose that is plugged is the vacuum control line for the Combi valve.

See the pictures in this link - https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-New_Beetle--1.8T/Engine/Emissions/ES269590/

Without the air pump and hoses, if the Combi valve opened when the car was warming up, it would let noisy exhaust out under the hood, this is why the hose is disconnected.

I just replaced the hockey puck, the breather hose from the valve cover, the PCV valve, the 90 degree rubber "T" fitting and the large 90 degree fitting that goes into the block just above the oil filter. If you look at the large 90 degree crankcase breather adapter, you WILL see a crack vertically in the front of the adapter. There is a LARGE and STRONG horseshoe clip that holds the crankcase breather in place. It is a bit tricky to remove and reinstall. I used a VERY large screw driver/pry bar that is about 2 feet long to walk the clip out, to reinstall you need small block of wood so something you can push up against. You WILL need a new O-ring here as well.

DO NOT get suckered into a Silicon PCV replacement, they are TOO expensive. Really not going to need to replace these parts again.

I will try to load some pictures of the air pump bracket and hoses later tonight.

Also the small black and white check valve on top of the valve cover is probably all rotted and missing the bottom. These do not last with the engine heat, I replaced them on my car at about year 4 or 5.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well, ordered the bracket from the dealer. Should be here tomorrow am. Pulled the PCV valve and tubes and found that the crankcase breather tube (90 degree tube that fits into the crankcase) was cracked where it goes into the crankcase. The crack extended up about 1". So, since I can't seem to find a local aftermarket part for that, I'm back to the dealer for another $64 part. Sigh...

Put in the new PCV valve and found a breather hose (the one that attaches to the valve cover) at O'Reilly Auto Parts for $35. Works for me!

Dorman HELP 47182 - Vacuum Breather | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Update: Also found the breather tube at O'Reilly's in case anyone needs one quick. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MTM0/48005.oap?ck=Search_48005_-1_4729&keyword=48005

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Sounds like things are coming together and you are getting the parts you need, to get the sai system working again. Before, installing the air pump; you might hook it up to power and see if it works.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like things are coming together and you are getting the parts you need, to get the sai system working again. Before, installing the air pump; you might hook it up to power and see if it works.
Do I just plug it in and start the car?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
You could try that or use jumper wires from the battery.

Also, you may have a missing bracket for the dipstick tube; it should be noticeable, when you install the pump bracket.

Dipstick Support Bracket
Used to hold the dipstick in its place

06A133376D

https://www.google.com/search?q=vcd...7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=vcds+trim+levels

http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=5128813&ukey_assembly=740081

Pictures of the bracket installed and typical dipstick failure:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...oken-dip-stick-funnel-2000-vw-new-beetle.html

1 - 20 of 53 Posts