VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving about a week ago and I saw my alternator light come on. I stopped the car and looked at the serpentine belt and it was fine. I then got my multimeter out and connected it to my car when it was running and it would go from 12 volts to 12.8 and the idle had a rhythm with the change in voltage. I decided to drive it home and then my car started acting really weird (all gauges went to zero and ABS light can on, radio was on and off, etc) and I measured the voltage again and it was producing 17 volts at any rpm above idle. I stopped the car immediately and then got a used alternator the next day. It wasn't a very good brand, but it seemed to cure my issues. Then about 4 days later I was pulling into my driveway and noticed the generator light flicker a bit. I checked my voltage at idle and only got 12 volts. Then I noticed that the generator light doesn't come on at all when the ignition is turned on. I heard this is caused by a broken/corroded wire above the starter, but mine looks fine to me. I believe the alternator will not charge the battery without that light working. Any ideas? Car is a 99' 2.0 AEG. I have 165,000 miles

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I would take it to a auto parts store and have them, put it on their charging system tester/computer and see what the results are. This is a good idea; because it tests, everything installed on the car and in a real world scenario. See what the results are; then, go from there?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
chassis ground

Have you checked to make sure your chassis grounding is good and making connection? Read the thread titled; CAUTION which shows what I found a few years back. If you don't have a good ground that's part of the DC circuit, gotta have that. There is another ground wire behind the left headlight and one mounted to the tranny I believe. good luck man

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank for the suggestions! I'm gonna give her a break for a couple months and drive my 67'. I'm going to fix all the issues with it slowly. My throwout bearing, wheel bearing, suspension bushings, alternator, and a new coolant leak over the next couple months. I will check all the grounds as soon as I have the time, thanks again!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took my alternator in to Napa and the tested it, but it failed a "light circuit test". I went and got another alternator at the junk yard and attempted to put it in, but I think it was slightly bent because the fit was extremely tight. So I swapped the voltage regulators and then installed my old one and the alternator light came on! So it finally works! There was no wiring issues, it was the voltage regulator! Thanks for all the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts