VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I own a 2001 1.8T. My water pump has stopped working. With so many choices online can some please suggest one for me? My dealership is quoting me about $1200 to replace it, which I think is to high. I would rather buy it myself. THANKS

·
Registered
100 Posts
The biggest problem with the stock water pump is the impeller is plastic. If you get the repair done at a dealership you get another crappy pump. Go with a metal impeller pump. If they are charging $1200 it should include new pump, timing belt, accessory belt tensioner and thermostat. Since you are in there already these are the things you need to change. The picture is the failed pump out of my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Even that my car is not diesel, I got the 1.8T timing belt kit from:

1.8T Timing Kit

Kit includes:

06B 109 119A Timing Belt, Gates brand Made in U.S.A!, same exact part as OE
06B 109 243D Timing Belt Tensioner, NTN brand, same exact part as OE
06B 109 477 T-Belt Damper w/included 06B 109 244 roller, NTN brand, same exact part as OE.
06A 121 011T Geba German made water pump with solid steel impeller

Dieselgeek.com Water Pump Removal Kit (details at bottom of this page)

050 121 113C Stock 87 degree Behr German Thermostat with 059 121 119 o-ring seal.(Behr is OE manufacturer)
06A 121 121C Thermostat housing cover from the VW/Audi dealer (plastic, replace every time you touch it!)
038 103 085C Elring German made Cam Seal x 2 (one for behind cam position sensor, replace if leaking)
06A 260 849C Serpentine Accessory Belt for cars with air conditioning, Gates brand, Made in U.S.A.!
N 105 167 01 Always-Replace Small OE Motor Mount bolts x2 (torque: 30 lb. /ft. + quarter turn)
N 102 096 03 Always-Replace Large OE Motor Mount bolts x2 (torque: 74 lb. /ft.)

Be carefull buying cheap parts like a water pump and timing belt kit.......... If the price is low, you can bet they are made in China

Good luck,

Isaac

·
Registered
205 Posts
The biggest problem with the stock water pump is the impeller is plastic.
I have always had bad bearing, all at the same mileage (74,000 miles). Maybe that's why the impeller explodes? Bearing issues with wheel wobble?

When the impeller exploded, did it squeak and squeal?

I used both OEM and German and both did the same thing. Replaced before it got worse.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The biggest problem with the stock water pump is the impeller is plastic. If you get the repair done at a dealership you get another crappy pump. Go with a metal impeller pump. If they are charging $1200 it should include new pump, timing belt, accessory belt tensioner and thermostat. Since you are in there already these are the things you need to change. The picture is the failed pump out of my car.
metal pump from pronto.got mine from oreilleys in maine.it has stainless impellor,but feel it for scratching or dragging in the water cavity by turning it.mine was just touching the inside of the enginewall,i ground it carefully a bit the whole way around to make it perfectly round for clearance.all pumps should be felt and sideloaded a bit to make sure they wont smash.it is a big job to do a timing belt in the snow on Christmas,and 2 days making special tools for the tensioner and weird motormount bracket for the hidden bolt, and a thermostat wrench for 1 lousy bolt I made.passenger engine mount comes out for the motor to lower,have to keep jacking it up and lowering it to work on the ground,but it can be done.its a big job,thats why they charge a lot.get the car 2 feet in the air in the driveway if you don't have a lift.its not bad,just a pain.mines lifted 6 inches in back and 8 in the front to level it,can do anything laying under it now.spent 4 months designing a 100%reversable bolt on kit,because the new cars are too low to work on.i wont pay 1000 bucks to change a radiator,or other stuff.my car runs cold as a clam with a spectra rad,and pronto pump.the fans never turn on now.my pump broke same as yours.had to pry the end of it out of the block lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Even that my car is not diesel, I got the 1.8T timing belt kit from:

1.8T Timing Kit

Kit includes:

06B 109 119A Timing Belt, Gates brand Made in U.S.A!, same exact part as OE
06B 109 243D Timing Belt Tensioner, NTN brand, same exact part as OE
06B 109 477 T-Belt Damper w/included 06B 109 244 roller, NTN brand, same exact part as OE.
06A 121 011T Geba German made water pump with solid steel impeller

Dieselgeek.com Water Pump Removal Kit (details at bottom of this page)

050 121 113C Stock 87 degree Behr German Thermostat with 059 121 119 o-ring seal.(Behr is OE manufacturer)
06A 121 121C Thermostat housing cover from the VW/Audi dealer (plastic, replace every time you touch it!)
038 103 085C Elring German made Cam Seal x 2 (one for behind cam position sensor, replace if leaking)
06A 260 849C Serpentine Accessory Belt for cars with air conditioning, Gates brand, Made in U.S.A.!
N 105 167 01 Always-Replace Small OE Motor Mount bolts x2 (torque: 30 lb. /ft. + quarter turn)
N 102 096 03 Always-Replace Large OE Motor Mount bolts x2 (torque: 74 lb. /ft.)

Be carefull buying cheap parts like a water pump and timing belt kit.......... If the price is low, you can bet they are made in China

Good luck,

Isaac
yes the gates timing belt kit with tensioner is awesome.very accurate timing.my car has lots of spunk now.i tell everyone to get the total kit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts