VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 1.8l turbo new beetle and have two codes that have come up on my car and wondering if anyone can tell me what it would be wrong so i can fix it.

P0411- secondary air injection incorrect flow detected
P0420- catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 1)

It also makes a really lound sound when u turn it on like fans or something coming on but it is a really high pitch sound and is getting really annoying. If anyone can tell me what i could fix it would be really helpful. I just dont want to start replacing stuff that isnt actually the problem.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I have a 2002 1.8l turbo new beetle and have two codes that have come up on my car and wondering if anyone can tell me what it would be wrong so i can fix it.

P0411- secondary air injection incorrect flow detected
P0420- catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 1)

It also makes a really lound sound when u turn it on like fans or something coming on but it is a really high pitch sound and is getting really annoying. If anyone can tell me what i could fix it would be really helpful. I just dont want to start replacing stuff that isnt actually the problem.
The P0411 code along with your very HIGH pitched noise is your SAI Pump (Secondary Air Pump) Very common for those to give out. If you still have the older style with the Rivets you can try and take it off and fix it. But if you have the kind that is just glued than the only way is to replace it.

Prices range from 119 to over 500 dollars for the pump. Replacing it is easy and you can probably do it yourself.

Here is a link to the pumps.

OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

The least expensive pump is of course back ordered and the next lowest is almost twice as much.

If yours has the old style rivets you can try and take your pump off and fix it. Cheapest option.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-modifications/39387-how-repair-air-injection-pump.html

Also check the plastic hoses coming off the SAI they can crack but if it is making the squealing sound than it is the pump itself.

As far as the P0420 code goes it points to either a faulty Catalytic converter or one or both of your O2 sensors are fried. You can go underneath your car and try and shake the Cat and see if it rattles inside. If it does than the Ceramic inside has melted and broken up into smaller chunks which makes the Catalytic converter useless. Plus those chunks can clump up and clog your exhaust system. Kinda like sticking a banana in your tail pipe.

Good Luck and I hope you get both issues fixed soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts