NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a pair of after market headlights for my 2002 triple yellow (made by Spec-D Tuning in black) I have now purchased a euro light switch. What I want to do is change my wiring so that when I start the car the eyebrow lights light up and the driving lights stay off. Then when I switch on my headlights the eyebrow lights go off. I am looking for a wiring diagram for the euro light switch with the hope I wont have to butcher to much of my factory wiring.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I purchased a pair of after market headlights for my 2002 triple yellow (made by Spec-D Tuning in black) I have now purchased a euro light switch. What I want to do is change my wiring so that when I start the car the eyebrow lights light up and the driving lights stay off. Then when I switch on my headlights the eyebrow lights go off. I am looking for a wiring diagram for the euro light switch with the hope I wont have to butcher to much of my factory wiring.
Not sure how the Euroswitch will accomplish something the OE switch wouldn't. Which switch you use doesn't have anything to do with the operation of the DRLs, which is what your trying to swap with the "eyebrow" lights which I can only assume are similar to the real OE "e-code" headlights, city lights. The DRLs, are simply the use of your low beams, operated by a reduced voltage through the same wires as the low beams, and controlled by a change over relay. What you could do would be to wire these "eyebrow" lights to the switch so that they are controlled by the rear fog portion of the Euroswitch, OR the front fog portion of the switch if you don't have front fogs. Use of the rear fog switch will require running a lead from the switch to the "eyebrow" lights, using the front fog switch will involve running a lead from the fog plug in the headlight harness to the "eyebrow" lights. Operation would be totally manual. Either would be a simple mod. To do what you are wanting to do would require the installation of a circuit similar to the DRLs, but as separate leads and would not involve the reduction of voltage. The DRLs would have to be defeated, also a simple mod. It should be rather simple, involving a relay which turns of the circuit when the headlights are turned on. You might contact Daniel Stern at Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply, he would probably design the circuit for you, or even build the component, either for a fee. Or someone on here mmay be willing to take on the project for you. As with just about any mod, anything is possible given enough time, effort, money, or a combination thereof.

MORAV

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I was looking to do is similar to what you described. I want to know where power comes into the switch and how it goes out of the switch. Thank you for covering the low voltage operation of the driving lights. I see that a part of what I will need to do is create a "new" circuit to get the function I want.
Standard switch has two positions 1) off-daytime driving lights only and 2) on-headlights full bright and exterior lights (running lights?) (brights controlled by bright switch on steering column) and interior lights. 3rd position would be pull on fog lights.
The Euro switch has, I believe, has three positions. 1) off-day time driving lights only, 2) off-NO HEAD LIGHTS interior lights and exterior (running lights?) on 3) on-normal headlights, interior and exterior lights. 4th and 5th position in my case are the pull 1 fogs pull 2 rear fog lights.
What I hope to accomplish is position 1) no headlights and eyebrow lights on. Normal function all other positions. I need to find the voltage drop for the daytime head lights and bypass it. I thought to create a new circuit for the off position which is why I need the wiring diagram for the euro switch I am using a meter to read out the switch but it seams to be doing some things I don't understand.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I think the euroswitch is in the Bentley, but not sure to what degree. I understand what your after, in addition to wiring diagram for non-euro set-up you need pin identification for switch. The pins are the same on both switches, as they are just plug and play.

In the meantime, this thread may give you some insight into the switch operation
http://newbeetle.org/forums/styling-modifications/49214-rear-fogs-again-help.html?highlight=euroswitch
The switch is actually a seven position switch, explained here
http://newbeetle.org/forums/styling-modifications/49214-rear-fogs-again-help.html#post723868

M.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool , Thank you, I am digging thru my Bentley, Hate the wiring diagrams in it. Just discovered that I can't get my old light switch out. Also just replaced fan control relay (module) and now both my fans runs run all the time, do not shut off. If its not one thing its another with this car... Thank you again!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Here's the Euroswitch diagram, not near all the information your looking for. Wiring diagrams suck! I have to sift through 17 pages and figure out the ones you need and identify the relative pins on the euroswitch from those other pages.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Cool , Thank you, I am digging thru my Bentley, Hate the wiring diagrams in it. Just discovered that I can't get my old light switch out. Also just replaced fan control relay (module) and now both my fans runs run all the time, do not shut off. If its not one thing its another with this car... Thank you again!
You must be using the paper Bentley, although the DVD is only better in that they are indexed and in some Groups, they auto link by clicking, but not all. And there are mistakes. Headlights for your '02 are located under Standard Equipment from June '99, Group 37. No point in me capturing and putting up what you already have. If you need helping linking from one page to another let me know what questions you have.

M.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woo Woo! finally figured out how to pull the light switch out... everyone said "push in on the switch" ... I was pushing in on the outside ring of the switch, not pushing in on the knob...Doh!... Tomorrow I field test my euro switch.... cant thank you enough for posting the wire diagram...Yes I have a paper book, I use Mac's so I could not get the DVDs. I need a scanner so I can blow up the diagrams so I can read them (I wear tri-focals) Looks like I need to wire in a relay that will work off the low voltage but bring in the full 12vdc to the eyebrow / halo lights... Thank You again and have a Merry Christmas ...

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I hadn't thought about doing it that way. Use the DRL lower voltage feed to trip a 12v relay to turn on the "eyebrow" lights, then when the heads are turned on the eyebrows go out just as the DRLs would. This way the e-brake switch will also turn off the DRL circuit (à la eyebrow). Excellent!

Now I'm curious, I'm going to have to look and see how the factory wires my e-code "city lights". I'm wondering if it isn't done the same way. Memory serves, there's a relay in the rewire circuitry. I'll let you know what I find out.

M.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Oh, I can help you with both items :D The Light switch is really easy to take out. Just "PUSH" it in while turning it slightyly to the right. Just half way inbetween the Off and the next Position. Then the switch should pull out pretty easily.

I had the same problem with the fans being on at HIGH all the time once I turned the iginition on. It's the temp switch that sits where the 3 radiator hoses come together. It's similar to the coolant sensor but it's black with a green stripe. Make sure you get the same one as was in there no other color will work. Anyway here is the link to the part on ECS tuning. It returned my fans to normal and I bet it will do the same for yours.

Home Page > Search > 357919369F > ES#248948 2-Pin Thermal Switch - 112C* - 357919369F

PS: I see you figured out the Light switch! GREAT! Oh, if you order the Thermal Switch don't forget to order a new O-Ring. Those cheapskates don't include one with the switch.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You for the fan switch info! ...guess it should be on a different thread :)... I just got in an order from ECS hate to have to spend more money on shipping again...I'll probably try the dealer first....unless I come up with a long list again...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts