VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My radiator fans don't come on after drives or when the car is running. My A/C works fine and when I turn the key to run and press the A/C button, only the smaller fan comes on at low speed. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Could it be a faulty CTS, or fan control module? Or the radiator fans :(
Thanks in advance!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
950 Posts
My radiator fans don't come on after drives or when the car is running. My A/C works fine and when I turn the key to run and press the A/C button, only the smaller fan comes on at low speed. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Could it be a faulty CTS, or fan control module? Or the radiator fans :(
Thanks in advance!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Easiest thing to do is to get under the front of your car and jump the fans to test them. Follow the instructions in the "summer is coming, check your fans" sticky thread.

Since your AC works, I'm pretty sure you're going to find the fault is with the large radiator fan.

Swapping it is a PITA but well worth the money saved if you DIY the project as the entire front fender/bumper shell needs to be removed as one piece to get to the radiator and components. A shop will charge you hundreds in labor just doing that task because even if you know what to do it takes a long time.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
point in the right direction?

k, start by checking all the fuses in this picture which are mounted on top of the battery. Some supply power to the fan control module and some directly to thermal switches and the fans. especially the three green on the right they tend to corrode and loose continuity check them real good with a multi-meter.

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
It also depends on temperatures and what kind of driving you're doing. If its cool outside, the fans may not come on, and that's perfectly fine.

·
Registered
950 Posts
It also depends on temperatures and what kind of driving you're doing. If its cool outside, the fans may not come on, and that's perfectly fine.
But they should come on with the AC, only the small fan is reported as functional when AC is turned on.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I got my drivers license on the 6th( got 100% on the drive test and knowledge test!!) and have been driving my car around. The fans won't come on after driving around for a while. I tapped the big fan and it started to work with the A/C on, but after a drive it won't come on again until I tap it. My fuses look good on the battery. Are there any fuses in the car that control the fan? It hasn't over heated but it does worry me vecause I am going to go on a 35 minute drive and the longest drive I have been on was 17 minutes. I did get a used fan at the junkyard and just happen to get the turbo's 4-wire fan instead of the 3-wire one for the 2.0.... Thanks for all the replies, it's been a while since I've been on.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
fans

As long as you keep moving the car will not overheat or boil over as long as the water pump is working correctly. The problem is you need the fans functional for times when your car is at Idle at a traffic light or stop and go traffic, especially during the summer months. If you tapped on the fan and it started I would replace that fan or better yet replace both fans if they are originals. Glad u found a 4 wire large fan ....lucky you. I am thinking of converting my 4 wire fan to a 3 wire application to avoid paying the $300plus for a part that's only worth $50.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts