NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
fahrvergnügen
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a new driver with my first car being an 01 beetle. I would like to know how I could lower the ride height of the car without high prices and know it will be safe. Got any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
You can goto the VW Dealers and get the 40mm drop springs they sell for the Bug :)

You can get Lower Springs from ebay.

Most people i know use coilovers. As these can be dropped as low as you want them, by the turn of the bolt. :)

You can go air ride, but then your getting into silly money.

YouTube - ‪VW "AirRide" Beetle‬‏

·
fahrvergnügen
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can goto the VW Dealers and get the 40mm drop springs they sell for the Bug :)

You can get Lower Springs from ebay.

Most people i know use coilovers. As these can be dropped as low as you want them, by the turn of the bolt. :)

You can go air ride, but then your getting into silly money.

YouTube - ‪VW "AirRide" Beetle‬‏
So I can lower the car with just springs and nothing else? will it hurt the car? Sorry for noob questions but I want to be on the safe side. Thanks for your help!

·
buggin
694 Posts
well how low do you want to go? Depending on that there are different options.

But i would just get coilovers. They can be as low as you like with the ability to raise them back up for winter etc.

Lowering springs will kill your struts, don't do it.

But if you want a minor drop that will be a fixed height, a shock and spring combo would be the way to go.

·
Blue ones are faster!
201 Posts
A set of sport springs will lower the car without the need of replacing anything else. Once you go much lower you looking at replacing strut/shocks, the possible need for a skid pan, ect.

A good set of springs will run you about $200. Some of the well knows names are H&R and Eibach, both excellent products!

ECS has the springs mentioned.

Good Luck!

·
Every one calls me Fuzzy
859 Posts
Here are just 2 choices that i have found with springs.

You will need to change you shocks and some other stuff not really sure i hope that some one else can help you with that

VW Beetle 98-Up Dropzone Lowering Springs - DZ7200

Greedspeed - 1998-2001.5 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 8vNeuspeed Race Springs - 2.0F / 2.0R

This is the best i have found to coil overs for 550 i dont think that there is no shipping and it is not a sale price. I have been watching them for about 6 months.

http://www.parts4euro.com/DCShop/product_info.php?cPath=1_113_508&products_id=880

Just thought i could toss out what i have found.

·
fahrvergnügen
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard of Raceland coilovers that are around $300 and I have heard people saying that it is a nice ride and others saying the opposite. The same thing goes with the Vmaxx coilovers

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'm riding on Racelands, 5k miles and not a single complaint, not bouncy, not harsh, handles great. I'm not running them spun all the way down though either. I wouldn't talk anyone out of Racelands unless you were to dedicate the car to racing.

·
fahrvergnügen
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lowering

I will probably look for used coilovers on the forums or I may go with cheap ones like Racelands. I am looking to just lower it so that there is no gap between the wheel and fender. Thanks to all that helped. :wave2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts