NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ruby's master mechanic
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have been through the how to, researching for about a week on here. I am still confused though so any help would be lovely.

So, there is this little rubber thing holding on my calipers like around the bolts. How do I remove it? Or do I not need to?

Also, my brakes look nothing like those in the how to...
I have a 99 2.0 gls.

Thanks so much, shannon

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Can you take a pic to show what you're referring to?

If the how-to was for a 1.8T, then it would be a bit different than a 2.0L or TDI. If you have a local auto parts store, they should carry the Haynes manual. Not the best but it is useful.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think what you are talking about are the caliper slide pins. The caliper bolts to these pins and they slide in and out as the piston moves and the pads wear. You do not need to remove them, but I usually do to clean them up. Dab a little synthetic grease on them when you reassemble.

·
Real men drive beetles.
107 Posts
i think what you are talking about are the caliper slide pins. The caliper bolts to these pins and they slide in and out as the piston moves and the pads wear. You do not need to remove them, but i usually do to clean them up. Dab a little synthetic grease on them when you reassemble.
x2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts