NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am putting this up for those of you who have warning or indicator lights come on, on your dash and don't have an Owners Manual to refer to.

It is a downloadable/printable .pdf scanned from my '05 Owners Manual. Older models have less and possibly different icons, and newer models may have more or slightly different icons. However, this is a good, quick reference. Maybe print it and put it in your glovebox if you don't have an OM. There are two pages in the one attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2006 new beetle and this appeared today:

I turned the car off and back on and it went away. Funny thing is I just got my heater core replaced yesterday and when he tripped to esp off and back on with switch it turned on the esp light and I had to use vag-com to turn that light off.

Thanks for this great post!!!!

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
11,125 Posts
The light at the top means your gas cap isn't tightened.

·
Registered
2 Posts
help!

I just bought my beetle 1999 gl, the basic model. It was too good of a deal to pass up. It runs good, drives good... But. The b air bag light is on,n the temp light will come off and on and it's not overheating. But, my main concern in there is no heat, or defrost. I've been told heater core, but there is no sweet smell. I've also been told it could just be the exhaust leaking because sometimes a small amount of smoke comes out of the vents. Then, I was also told it could be clogged. I read that when the heater core does go out, it can cause the airbag light to come on, and the temp light to come on, as it does come off and on at times, and it's not overheating... Please help!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
problems

@lauraj8554
The engine temperature light coming on/off is just the reservoir level being too low or defective switch inside the reservoir.
The air bag light on is a common problem and is usually the seatbelt receiver latch buckle. You need a vagcom software or similar to clear the light and will also tell you where the problem is.
The no heater or heat issue is also a common problem and it's most likely the Blend door. There are a few threads around here on how to repair that. good luck man :wave:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,125 Posts
What color is the temp light when it goes on and off? Its supposed to come on at cold startup in blue to indicate that the engine isn't up to temp. It goes off when things are warmed up.

If the blue light comes on later, then its likely a faulty coolant temp sensor. If it comes on solid red, its overheating. Blinking red is low coolant level.

You could have some air in the coolant lines as well. That can cause a lack of heat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts