VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 volkswagen new beetle GSL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i bought a volkswagen passat 2010 speedometer and i modified the pannels of the beetle and split some wires, so far everything works, except for 2 things.

1. The gas mileage reading, in the volkswagen passat there are 2 cables that are for the gas gauge, 1 cable is for full and one for low fuel, while on the new beetle cluster only has 1 cable, and i tried to connect the single cable from the beetle and nothing happens, i tried the low and the car's battery seems to die everytime. Any suggestion on what can i do about it?

And 2, in the volkswagen beetle speedometer, there's a single cable that's for the speed signal but in the volkswagen passat 2010 speedometer doesn't have one, i assume it's by CAN, but that's not the thing, the gauge does move tho, but the reading isn't accurate, lets says its 8 miles ahead of the actual mileage, so lets say I'm doing 2 miles to move the car out of the parking spot and it reads 10 miles, so i don't know what i can do, i wanted to solder some cables directly to the step-motor of the beetle cluster that controls the mileage and solder it directly to the one on the passat, but the old speedometer doesn't register anything, only the new speedometer, old speedometer works normal if i disconnect the new one.

I'll attach some pics , but last time it didn't let me post it it said waiting for approval.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

Don't worry about the other warning lights, i had to desolder them as the beetle isn't originally equipped with tire pressure sensor, slip and electronic steering wheel l (the steering wheel light is for the elctric one, beetle doesn't have that).

Here is the diagram for the passat cluster that shows 2 cables for the gas gauge.

And the volkswagen beetle diagram

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trust me, any help would be highly appreciated, As if we can make things work, we can ALL do this to our beetles and finally have a better looking cluster.

now, some questions you may all have is how did i bypassed the immobilizer on the beetle.

I bypassed the immobilizer without paying or modify the ecu, by just only supply power to the old speedometer and connecting the cables that read the coil of the immo and it was good to go, i took the old speedometer apart only leaving the motherboard, and i hide it where the ecu is by running some long cables and yeah that's how i bypassed it and the car starts without any issues.

And now the other thing, remember that ugly looking steering wheel that doesn't have any commands, well let me show you something

I installed a new steering wheel from the same 2010 volkswagen passat, and it was all just to remove the old one and plug the one, it bolts right in.
BUT you have to change your old clock spring and do some plastic welds to use the clock spring from the passat, I'll do it soon and I'll make the thread if people seem to be interested and want to cooperate with me so we can all enjoy the most of our beetles.

THIS steering wheel wouldn't only allow you to change the settings from the cluster, but also to increase the volume from the radio, call, etc i tried it and it worked, something to keep in mind is that the steering wheel controls from the passat are based on the Can bus, so i bought a can bus convert kit for aftermarket radios and it worked for me, but im unsure if it will work with the oem radio, i sold it.

Anyway, if you guys need some help or want to do clusters swaps on the beetle, we have to join as a community, i can find most of the diagrams but i can't figure out some stuff like the gas gauge or the speed gauge and that's why I'm asking for help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts