VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2001 vw beetle and it now has terrible transmission problems! Hessitates to go into drive or will jerk into first hard after hesitating. Now trying to go over 45 the rpms go very high and wont shift. Just had tranny fluid checked and they said it was 2 qts low and very burnt. Need help very bad....

·
Registered
712 Posts
If they told you it was two quarts low without changing it, they lied. There is no dipstick or way to check the fluid other than whether it is "full" or "low". The fluid is filled from underneath the vehicle through the drain plug. Your fluid probably is Burt and low, but they had no way of knowing that without removing it.
Blauparts.com sells good kits for your vehicle to change out the fluid. There are lots of threads on this site with instructions and links to instructions on how to change the fluid. This will cost around $100 in parts.
If you are lucky, this will fix your problem. It is possible that you have a bad valve body which will need to be rebuilt or replaced. That can cost anywhere between about 500-2000. Search the forums and you will find lots of info.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They told me it was low aND asked if they should top it off so I agreed and they put in 2 qts... I got this done at echaise pros

·
Registered
112 Posts
So now after the fluid top off, the trans is shifting bad still correct!?
Chances are that they may have added the wrong fluid! These bugs are PICKY Super PICKY! and fluid for them is expensive !!! if they topped it off it was probably with Dextron which is a no no big time!!

But was this happening before the trans fluid was added? If it was you should listen to cha2ga in regards to the valve body. Apparently its something that tends to go out on these VW automatics. Nature of the beast I guess.

If it wasn't doing this before, then exhaust pros just bought you a new trans!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They charged me $5 a qt... code is reading torque converter failure... I was informed it's probably the switch... changing fluid asap

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Can you get the actual code number?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts