NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 vw beetle has 80000 miles. It runs fine when cold but when it warms up the car shifts rough from 1 to 2 and downshifts rough from 3 to 2 and jerks forward. My car isn’t In limp mode and I have no transmission codes showing up. Is this a valve body issue?

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Your symptoms sound like typical issue with the tran valve body and sticking shift solenoids. Always start diagnosis with a fresh scan for trouble codes; typically you will need a vw specific scan tool, to read trouble codes and read related live data to see what is going in. What scan tool are you using?

For shifting related issues, we have seen everything from: wiring harness problems, failed external speed sensors, defective shifter assemblies, valve body issues and worst case scenario, internal transmission failures. There is hope, as many auto trans shifting issues; have been solved and repaired with a professionally rebuilt, tested and warranted remanufactured valve body from a reputable supplier/rebuilder.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
(Couldn't edit above post; sorry for double posting)

Your symptoms sound like typical issue with the trans valve body and sticking shift solenoids. Always start diagnosis with a fresh scan for trouble codes; typically you will need a vw specific scan tool, to read trouble codes and read related live data to see what is going in. What scan tool are you using? VCDS by Ross Tech, tends to be the recommended vw specific scan tool solution; for in depth troubleshooting such as this.

Also, which trans do you have? The six speed tiptonic; seems to be the stronger and more robust version, over the earlier 01M 4 speed.

For shifting related issues, we have seen everything from: wiring harness problems, failed external speed sensors, defective shifter assemblies, valve body issues and worst case scenario, internal transmission failures. There is hope, as many auto trans shifting issues; have been solved and repaired with a professionally rebuilt, tested and warranted remanufactured valve body from a reputable supplier/rebuilder.

Give us some more info on the history of the car, which scan tool, you using and how are you want to approach the repair, we can go from there. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the six speed tiptronic and I’m using the xtool vag 401. There are no codes showing in the transmission module but do have a catalytic converter code in the engine

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Sometimes, you will get trouble codes and sometimes you will not (when the valve body is defective; sticking solenoids); the VAG 401 scan tool, doesn't have an auto scan feature but you have to choose each control module you want to scan, correct?

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Ok, so we definitely in failure mode; You would think you would have an associated trouble code along with that. Also, are the drive selector displays lightened up in the speedo cluster? That is another indicator of failure mode and the drive selections look different than normal.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Well, you could pull the pan and look for any debris or hard parts in the bottom of the oil pan. While, we can't know for sure; unless the trans is fully tested/inspected, we have a good history on this site, of a pro rebuilt valve body fixing shifting issues. I just worked on a 2005 2.0L convertible and it had a bad selector assembly; this helped it finally shift correctly. I changed the fluid/filter; things improved allot but it still has a harder then normal shift out of first in the morning, i can only assume it will eventually need a rebuilt valve body (no trouble codes thrown). As always there are no guarantees, everybody's situation ultimately can be different but you have to do your best to analyze the situation, learn as much as you can and then make a decision to move forward with repairs like replacing the valve body. A valve body replacement diy; would be the most cost effective approach, as long as you have the ability, patience and ultimately, do the install correctly, replace anything that is needed. As this thread has documented, many have gone before you, you have the better 09G six speed and many have been able to do it themselves, you can too! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What company is the best for valve body? I was looking at street smart transmission bc of the 3 yr warranty

1 - 20 of 30 Posts