NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I love my bug, yes everyone says they are pains and ok, kinda, but mine has been super good to me, and actually quite easy to work on... but i need some help.

So tux has been doing some strange things lately. Starts and runs fine most of the time, when you put gas, it would have kinda of a hard start, but otherwise runs fine, 99% of the time. The other one percent, you'll be driving, foot on the gas, usually immediately after shifting up, and it feels as if the brake is one or its not getting any fuel. It just drags, for about three maybe five seconds, then back to normal. Been doing this off and on for a few months, i keep meaning to take it in, but every chance I get, it wont do it. Anyway, been doing it for a few months, getting more frequent the last month or so, and NOW will just die. Almost exactly 15 minutes into the drive. And it wont start, at all, till you let it sit for a min of one hour. any ideas? PLease, im lost...

·
ElectricHarleyHouseOfLove
1,751 Posts
1) how long has it been since you've had a fuel filter change?

2) something you should be able to do before taking it to someone is cleaning the elecrical bits on the MAF (mass air flow) Sensor. if youe not sure where it is, It's a cylindrical part with a teminal coming out the side of it that connects into the airbox. Should just need to remove a couple ring clamps of some sort, and the electrical connector. There's threads around about cleaning them, but I'm posting from phon right now, so linking them is hard at the moment

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I'm willing to put $20 down that you just need a new fuel filter. Diesels make power based on fuel to air, the MAF would affect air but with diesels most often a clogged filter reduced fuel pressure, this drags the car or lets it stall out.

My Jetta has a plugged filter and it can't go above 3300rpms in 3-5th gears. I can still drive it but the acceleration, and fuel economy, is diminished noticeably.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
Remember chris, this is a 2.0L not a diesel :p Though I'd also start with a fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Oh I got this thread mixed up with another one that was in the 1.9 forum... haha thanks Jess, I totally didn't realize that. I need to better organize my tabs...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all I'll try those first cuz a fuel pump is damn expensive... and I'll bet its a combination of the filter and the maf cuz when I bought it, there was a vaccum leak...

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Ok, so I love my bug, yes everyone says they are pains and ok, kinda, but mine has been super good to me, and actually quite easy to work on... but i need some help.

So tux has been doing some strange things lately. Starts and runs fine most of the time, when you put gas, it would have kinda of a hard start, but otherwise runs fine, 99% of the time. The other one percent, you'll be driving, foot on the gas, usually immediately after shifting up, and it feels as if the brake is one or its not getting any fuel. It just drags, for about three maybe five seconds, then back to normal. Been doing this off and on for a few months, i keep meaning to take it in, but every chance I get, it wont do it. Anyway, been doing it for a few months, getting more frequent the last month or so, and NOW will just die. Almost exactly 15 minutes into the drive. And it wont start, at all, till you let it sit for a min of one hour. any ideas? PLease, im lost...
Have you done your spark plugs, wires, and coilpack yet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tried...

the fuel filter and cleaning the MAF sensor... still dies after running for about 15 minutes. The ignition pack is new, changed in February, and the wires and plugs also... any other ideas? Have a scanner coming in a few days, hope that works if no one has any more ideas... :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

got the scanner. three codes came up, maf, icm error, and something else. cleared them, started the car, ran for 15 min. then died. ran the scanner again, MAF. does this sound about right??? thanks for your help...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OOOOKKK! Still dying, my poor little buggy. Scanner had three codes, 706, p1706?maybe is the only one still on after I replace MAF, and the whole assembly actually, something about ignition timing no input? We will take off the manifold tomorrow to check the coil pack, and the plugs and wires. The wierd thing, is he's runs immpeccably for almost exactly 15min, then dead, turn's over but won't fire up. Nada. any ideas anyone??? Thanks

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
OOOOKKK! Still dying, my poor little buggy. Scanner had three codes, 706, p1706?maybe is the only one still on after I replace MAF, and the whole assembly actually, something about ignition timing no input? We will take off the manifold tomorrow to check the coil pack, and the plugs and wires. The wierd thing, is he's runs immpeccably for almost exactly 15min, then dead, turn's over but won't fire up. Nada. any ideas anyone??? Thanks
What are you using to scan your cars CEL? A Generic code scanner will not correctly read the Vw Specific codes unfortunately. You need either a Vchecker (which i highly recommend for $60. See middle link in my signature) or a Vagcom to check the Vw specific codes. They both even tell you what the problem is mostly.

I recommend you check the bottom link in my signature to help you find a Vw mechanic near you:wink: . You don't want to keep replacing parts and not really solve your exact problem.

It sounds like something about the car isn't quite right with the fuel system or something. But in this case, i'm really not sure because I haven't had anything like this on my car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok update

I've done several things to tux at this point. New MAF sensor, MAF tube, fuel filter, ignition pack is new as of this year, and new plugs... wires arent new, and I changed the fuel pump today. still stalls after 10 to 15 mins of running perfectly... Got the following codes from an Autel Vag 305:

01165 - Throttle Body Control Module -J338
or Throttle Body Control Module (J338)
16706 - Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit - No Signal or Engine Speed Sensor (G28): No Signal : P0322
17973 - Throttle Actuator (J338): Lower Stop not Reached : P1565

Anyone got any ideas????

Thanks

·
Real life Beetle mechanic
572 Posts
I've done several things to tux at this point. New MAF sensor, MAF tube, fuel filter, ignition pack is new as of this year, and new plugs... wires arent new, and I changed the fuel pump today. still stalls after 10 to 15 mins of running perfectly... Got the following codes from an Autel Vag 305:

01165 - Throttle Body Control Module -J338
or Throttle Body Control Module (J338)
16706 - Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit - No Signal or Engine Speed Sensor (G28): No Signal : P0322
17973 - Throttle Actuator (J338): Lower Stop not Reached : P1565

Anyone got any ideas????

Thanks
Yep just replace the crank sensor and you will be fine, I would test it first.

Test procedure:

The G28 engine speed sensor produces AC voltage when the engine is turning (either cranking or running) and this signal is used by the Engine Control Module (ECM) to trigger the injectors and coils.

1. To test for correct operation, measure the AC output voltage of the sensor, with the engine cranking, between the White and Brown wires on the sensor side.

2. 800mV AC voltage minimum must be present at crank speed (preferred voltage is 1.5 to 2.5 volts AC).

3. The sensor is located in the engine block, front side, just ahead of the transmission, near the oil filter housing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man, you are my hero. I have been fighting with this car for months... no one here knows $#!+ about vws. There is only one mechanic here... and he's busy ALL the time. can i pm you if i got ?s?

Yep just replace the crank sensor and you will be fine, I would test it first.

Test procedure:

The G28 engine speed sensor produces AC voltage when the engine is turning (either cranking or running) and this signal is used by the Engine Control Module (ECM) to trigger the injectors and coils.

1. To test for correct operation, measure the AC output voltage of the sensor, with the engine cranking, between the White and Brown wires on the sensor side.

2. 800mV AC voltage minimum must be present at crank speed (preferred voltage is 1.5 to 2.5 volts AC).

3. The sensor is located in the engine block, front side, just ahead of the transmission, near the oil filter housing.

·
Real life Beetle mechanic
572 Posts
Man, you are my hero. I have been fighting with this car for months... no one here knows $#!+ about vws. There is only one mechanic here... and he's busy ALL the time. can i pm you if i got ?s?
I would prefer you to ask it in my Ask The Mechanic For Free topic, so everyone can see the problem and answer.

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Find a local Vw mechanic ;). Check the bottom link in my signature to help you get started on finding one nearest you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update

Ok update - I finally got to change the sensor this weekend. That was the issue thank you all. Especially you mechanic. I have to say it was not that hard. I'm a girl, so small hands im sure didn't hurt. I didn't have to remove anything except the oil filter. Once I did that and shoved some hoses out the way, I got my hands righting there. Total proces once found the sensor took about an hour. So if anyone else has this issue, don't worry it's not impossible :) thanks again, tux lives!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts