NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 Beetle Convertible and I wasn't shown how to take the top down and put it back up properly. I followed the directions exactly, and it worked fine putting the top down. Well, now I can't get the top back up.

So I read on the forums how to do the reset thing making all the windows go up and down a couple times. Well that did work and I was able to get the top up.

Also, I've noticed that even after I leave it off for a few hours it's warm. Is that normal? I know I need to take it to the VW dealership in my area but it's not something I can do for another week.

I would really appreciate any advice you can give.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm guessing a power top? Make sure you are holding the switch long enough. As I recall, the 2005 model doesn't have the flaps on the rear interior quarter trim panels. However, VW still had the flap motors installed, located behind trim panels in the trunk area below the tail lights.

These flap motors are not connected to anything. But you have to hold the switch in the center console long enough for the motors to think they are getting trim flaps up and out of the way, it takes a few seconds. Once the Roof Electronics sees the data is wants from the flap motors, then it will release the top locks, followed by the top closing.

That is my guess. For all I know, you may also be describing a sticking F171 switch as well. If that is the case, then a second person pushing up at the right side of the top while you flip the switch in the center console to the close position will get the top to close.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, call me stupid but after you drive your bug does it take hours to cool down? I live in Texas and I got home at 5pm it's now 9pm and it's still hot. I'm so worried and out of my comfort zone here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try the switch on the top AFTER using the all windows up/all windows down to cycle the circuit.
So, call me stupid but after you drive your bug does it take hours to cool down? I live in Texas and I got home at 5pm it's now 9pm and it's still hot. I'm so worried and out of my comfort zone here.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
This from your other locked post -

"I bought the car from a private seller who didn't really explain much about it. The previous owner took the car to the VW dealership in our area and that's where she always had it serviced. The dealership said it's in pristine condition and has zero problems.

Well I've encountered a problem...

I followed the directions exactly on how to put the top down. It went down no problem, then I decided to take it for a drive. Well it started to beep that it wasn't down all the way. I held down the button for a long time and it stopped on it's own.

So, with that in mind I decided to put the top back up. Well it wouldn't go. I read on here and was able to do the reset thing. (master windows up and down)

What am I doing wrong???"

I own an '05 NBC, so I am speaking from experience.

There is a video about the top operation that gets posted up quite regularly
New Beetle Convertible Basic Top Operation - YouTube

The power top circuit is protected with a circuit breaker. You do have to hold the switch until the indicator light goes out, which is longer than you "think" you should have to. You probably held it too long and "popped" the breaker. It should resets itself when it cools, about 5 minutes. Probably what you thought you accomplished with the window switch reset. The window switch reset thing is to reset the top switch operation when the power has been disconnected (battery disconnect), or drained completely.

Your Owner's Manual covers much of this, including the power window reset operation. If you need one, I have one available here.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/48896-fs-owners-manuals-40-shipped.html

As to the motors from the "03 and '04 "flaps" still being in the '05, but not being used or serving any purpose? Hmm... First I've heard of this, but highly doubtful. :rolleyes: There were two different pairs of motors in the earlier NBCs. The combined "Rod Flap Electric Motor and Position Sensor" (one right side, one left side) AND the "Convertible Top Locking Motor" w/ "Electric Motor Locked Microswitches" (one each right side, one each left side). The '05 makes use of only the later motors and microswitches, and this is where you need to hold the "down" switch until the top is locked into position as sensed by these microswitches.

Also, I'm confused about this staying warm thing. What is staying warm? The engine? Explain further please.

MORAV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts