NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI every one ,this is my first time on here ,not sure how it all works , but i own a 2007 convertible beetle just bought it this summer , i live in northern Alberta , so it gets cold here, i was wondering where is the block heater located ? I have tried looking for it but no cord ?? very worried that it may not start one of this cold mornings :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
block heater cold weather

HI every one ,this is my first time on here ,not sure how it all works , but i own a 2007 convertible beetle just bought it this summer , i live in northern Alberta , so it gets cold here, i was wondering where is the block heater located ? I have tried looking for it but no cord ?? very worried that it may not start one of this cold morning and also wondering if anyone has had issues driving there beetles in bad xstream cold weather or bad highways :confused:

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
HI every one ,this is my first time on here ,not sure how it all works , but i own a 2007 convertible beetle just bought it this summer , i live in northern Alberta , so it gets cold here, i was wondering where is the block heater located ? I have tried looking for it but no cord ?? very worried that it may not start one of this cold morning and also wondering if anyone has had issues driving there beetles in bad xstream cold weather or bad highways :confused:
I dont believe the beetle has a block heater. If it did the plug would be somewhat easy to find. This is also my first winter with my Beetle. I am told by the previous owner that it handles rather well in the snow, but it does have ESP/ASR which helps if you lose control/spin during acceleration. the previous owner hadnt had any problems with it starting in the cold. I live in Minne"snow"ta, so it gets quite chilly! :)

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Being in sunny Florida I don't have to worry about that; but, have been considering an eventual move to the mountains of NE Tennessee, so was looking into that when I got my Iggy. From what I hear, NBs ride pretty well in the snow, so I felt good about that one. I've heard they don't have a block heater at all, but you can find many alternatives on the aftermarket...

just did a quick Google search and there are a bunch of them. This is just one of many...

VW Block Heater - PartsPlaceInc.com

Good luck with the search, hope you manage to keep yourself and your car toasty warm this winter :xmas:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
In a gasser, I don't think you'll really need to worry about it. Diesels need them in the really cold climates, but they have a lot higher compression to overcome. I've never been in that cold of weather, but I know my NB 2.0 started just fine in the teens.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Thank you every one :) and it's gas ,, I'm hoping and will start at minuse 30 weather ,
That's not all that cold is it? LOL (insert frozen solid emoticon here)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
That's not all that cold is it? LOL (insert frozen solid emoticon here)
Actually, in Canada it's Celcius and -30Celcius is only -22Fahrenheit. :D So it's not that cold at all ;)
We get that here in Indiana sometimes and my 1.8 Beetle started all winter last year.

May I recommend Castrol Edge 0W30 for the OP in Alberta ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Killer cold

Not cold ! Omg with windshield it gets down to -45 Celsius ! It's like a instead burn ... I will go give my lady bug a new old change , with better oil :) thank you ..

·
Registered
13 Posts
lol never heard of a unleaded motor needing a block heater, but then agin iv never experienced minus 33 either, id say youd be fine but if your worried farm stores sell oil dipstics that plug in so you could try that alternative

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Not cold ! Omg with windshield it gets down to -45 Celsius ! It's like a instead burn ... I will go give my lady bug a new old change , with better oil :) thank you ..
Noooooooo...I was being sarcastic (hence the placement of a frozen solid emoticon...lol). I said that only because I am in Tampa, Florida where all the locals put on ski-suit looking jackets when the weather drops into the 30s (that would be Farenheit, and above zero not below...crazy floridians...lol). Personally I like it cold, but I am from Ohio originally so I am just a transplant to the warm climate. My husband was born and raised here and is one of the ski parka people...usually before it hits the 30s even. I will say that I do not miss sub zero, but I do miss snow, seasons changing, and just plain not humid as all heck days. I am tired of Florida heat...that is why I really want to move a little further north where I can have a little snow without going too crazy in it :D.

Only reason I've even heard of block heaters actually is because of my Aunt living in North Pole, Alaska...lol

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Noooooooo...I was being sarcastic (hence the placement of a frozen solid emoticon...lol). I said that only because I am in Tampa, Florida where all the locals put on ski-suit looking jackets when the weather drops into the 30s (that would be Farenheit, and above zero not below...crazy floridians...lol). Personally I like it cold, but I am from Ohio originally so I am just a transplant to the warm climate. My husband was born and raised here and is one of the ski parka people...usually before it hits the 30s even. I will say that I do not miss sub zero, but I do miss snow, seasons changing, and just plain not humid as all heck days. I am tired of Florida heat...that is why I really want to move a little further north where I can have a little snow without going too crazy in it :D.

Only reason I've even heard of block heaters actually is because of my Aunt living in North Pole, Alaska...lol
I like to visit Florida in the Winter time but there is no way I would ever want to live there. It's basically just a Big Swamp with tons of Humidity and lots of Bugs. The state is Flatter than Kansas and has no scenery to speak of. Sure, you can go to the Beach and perhaps visit Disney World but there isn't much else to like about Florida and even the Beach gets old after a while. I am from Southern Part of Germany where we have actually 4 Seasons. Rolling hills, forests and wineyards. Beautiful scenery and places to walk. It's nice in the summer and not too cold in the winter. When we moved to the USA I thought Cool. And it was not only Cool but COLD.
Moving to Indianapolis from Stuttgart Germany was a shock, especially when you are ripped out of school at 13 years old and have to move to a strange country in the middle of January. It is freakin' cold here in Indiana in January and there is no scenery to speak of. Flat lands as far as the eye can see and a bunch of corn fields. I was never depressed before in my life until I moved to this place.
Still looking for a place that reminds me of my old home but here in the states I haven't found it yet. Colorado may come close but I can't afford to live there. A lot of active people there and it definitely has some scenery besides Corn and Soybean fields. ;)
32 degrees Fahrenheit is 0 Degrees Celcius. BTW. ;)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Welcome to the org I live in Texas so I haven't seen snow in about 39 years but we're glad to have you.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts