NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! New poster, but have been stalking for about a month:eek: I purchased my 2000 1.8l manual about a month ago. 91000 miles, timing belt and water pump have been replaced. It recently sat for a few days and the battery died. Couldn't get it to jump, so I went and bought a new one and it would start, but sound crappy. The coolant light came on so I added more and the oil is funny colored. Is it my head gasket?! There is white smoke coming out the back. I know all of this usually means the head gasket but I don't understand how a dead battery could lead to that... Any help would be great!

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
At this point; you don't want to run the engine, you could destroy the head and bottom engine bearings (contaminated oil will not lubricate the engine properly). You could do a leak down test; this does not require, the engine to run; so, it would not potentially hurt the engine.

More info here:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/78633-water-leak-possible-cause-found.html

Let us know; how experienced you are in auto repair and if you are going to do the work yourself or have a professional handle the job. How does the oil look and what color is it or how does it feel in your hand (milky, gray, watery, slimy, etc; has your coolant been needing topped off lately)? I would NOT start or drive the car; until it is properly diagnosed/repaired or take it to a professional shop to have the problem evaluated (don't drive it in; tow it in). You may have caught the problem; just in time before any damage occurs or possibly things are already damaged. Hopefully, everything is ok; only through a inspection of the cam bearings and crank bearings; will you know for sure.

If you have anymore info; as to what was happening up until this point and any other issues or symptoms have been going on... let us know! Things seem to be pointing to a head gasket but you need to test, diagnose the problem to know for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your respnse! Well... I changed the battery myself... that's the extent of my auto repair knowledge. :( The oil is milky and it looked like it had brown specks in it when I wiped the dipstick. I had to replace the coolant today and I've only driven it about 200 miles since it was last filled. Should I try the head gasket sealant? How much will it cost to replace the head gasket?

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
You need to have the problem; properly diagnosed! Having a leak down test, of the cylinders/head gasket; would probably be a good next step to confirm the problem. How much coolant; did you "replace"? I would not drive or run the engine; until you figure out the problem. Can you post some pics; of how the oil looks? It sounds like water is in your oil; usually, a sign of a head gasket leak/failure. Head gasket "sealants"; are usually just a band aid and a normal professional repair, is the way to go. After the head is removed; having the head, fully tested, and repaired (if needed), is the correct way to repair the problem. Fix it right; don't cut corners and it will save you money in the long run! Do it once and do it right! Do you have anyone to help or have a shop, you trust... that you can take the car to?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can take a pic in the am. I just moved to VA Beach and I have no idea where to take it. I was going to call around tomorrow. I really love this car but if it's going to cost more than a grand to fix, I'm probably just going to have to get a new one:crying:

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
Ouch; doesn't sound good! You might post up a question; as to where to take your car and see if anyone in your area, has some recommendations! Hopefully, someone can point you; in the right direction! Man, sorry about all your problems; right, when you just moved somewhere new... ugh! :(

·
Registered
14,052 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it to the closest shop and the guy said it was the intake gasket or the head gasket and they couldn't be sure unless they took my engine apart... a 5 hour job at $112 an hour. That didn't sound right to me, so I took it home. Going to call around tomorrow.

·
Everett Street in May
3,207 Posts
FYI, a simple vacuum test can confirm if the head gasket is good or not. That shop was going to robb you, glad you tan away from them.

·
Everett Street in May
3,207 Posts
Reach out to "Warren" here on the org (that's his screen name). He is a long term resident of the area and can recommend a good VW shop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought so too! I'm a female so I guess they thought they'd make an easy $500 if I was dumb enough to agree to that.:mad:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got my car scanned. Had a P0302 code.Bought a new coil. Seems like a repair even I can do! I'm only seeing 2 spots where the coils go and all the pictures I'm seeing show four. Is this correct or am I completely missing something?:confused:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
If you have the engine cover off, you should see the 4 coils.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: I replaced one of the coils, all the spark plugs, and the coolant temp sensor. The plug in cylinder 2 was so corroded that I had to pry it out. She's running perfectly now. No coolant loss and no milky oil. No CEL and no codes!!!! Thank GAWD for this forum!:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
I'm a little bewildered and curios; about what happened to the "head gasket" problem? :confused: Did you have someone else, check it out and test/diagnose it for you? Did someone in the area (referred to above); help you out? I hope; everything works out and your car is repaired correctly, running good! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts