NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! A few weeks ago I was driving around town needing a different car, I had an 02 Jeep Liberty Limited that I put thru the wringer and since I'm starting college I need great gas mileage. Anyways, I seen this cute little Bug sitting on the side of the road with a for sale sign. I stopped at the house and voila 800 bucks later I am now the proud driver of Herbie. He has all the decals of the original 63. I love Herbie! I did own an 01 VW NB but it was a salvage vehicle and I only drove it one time, from one trailer to another. I can't wait to take road trips with my son in Herbie, yes I rented the movies so he can watch mom's racecar. It does have a few minor issues, its an $800 car, like the radio doesn't work and with the lack of owner's manual, my bf, a GM mechanic, is having fun trying to figure it out. I'm so happy to be part of the VW NB family, I love Herbie and yes I have people looking at me when I'm driving, have had pictures taken of Herbie as well.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
800 bucks?!?!?:eek:
WOW!!:jawdrop:

Congrats on the great find.
What year is it? Do you know if they replaced the timing belt/water pump/tensioner/roller? If not, I'd get that done right away.

BTW where do you live?... no info in your profile, as seen in the upper right corner of your posts. An orger might be in your neighborhood. A lot of us are good at turning a wrench, and might be able to give your b/f a hand:)

Welcome to the org family:)

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Eight hundred dollars????? :eek:

Anyway, Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :party:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
From one Herbie to another, welcome!! I'm jealous of that $800 price tag! LOL

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
Great find! Hope he brings you and your family many, many years of fun trips.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
Wow! Why is it that I can never find deals like that?:confused::p
Congratulations on your New Beetle:)
Hope you have as much fun as the rest of us are.
Barb

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a 99 and I will be sure and tell my bf to check those parts. I was surprised for what I paid for it, the previous driver (Herbie doesn't have owners, just drivers) had a baby and if anyone has tried to put a newborn carseat in the backseat of a Bug knows it doesn't work/fit well. My son is 4 and he loves that he can move the seat n get in all by himself. And I live in Harlan, Iowa. My son gets a bit distracting when I try and do things on the computer, he thinks he needs to block the screen n ask me if it's his turn, over and over and over again! Does anyone know about the spark plugs/wires, is it something I have to replace both at same time or can I just do spark plugs to get me by until I can get wires too?

·
Registered
184 Posts
You can do the plugs by themselves until you can afford/ have time to do the wires. I would DEFINITELY check the timing belt to see if it has been replaced. If not, or you cannot be sure, replace it for peace of mind.

·
Old & New Beetles
2,244 Posts
Hi!
Welcome to the org!

Oh boy, 800 bucks... Very good deal indeed. I´m so happy for you!
I am a big time Herbie fan; I have all movies of course :D

Looking forward to see more pics....

Greetings from Finland.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
welcome

Welcome and Great find on that 99 NB you got a hell of a bargain. Now comes the fun part of fixing it..LOL
Do the Timing belt and water pump with a metal empaller-ASAP:cool:

·
JYD, Peppy Pepper, Rico,
596 Posts
Omg

HOLLY CRAP,

What an awsome deal,, great price on a car! Parts cost that much. You are soooo very lucky you got this deal. I would invest in this car and check the rubber timing belt ASAP. If not you can ruin the engine. It WILL cost big money to fix it, so make sure you check the belt or have someone check it for you. When it goes there is NO warning at all. So stay on top of this item. Water pumps are also an issue on these cars. Once you get past those issues these cars are a blast. I love them.

Welcome home, you will love this site and the people on it. Make sure you head out to a new beetle event and meet the great people and show off your car.

Hope to see ya soon at a GTG

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
WOW... $800 bucks? That is a steal for any Beetle that is still running but especially for Herbie ;) Herbie the Love Bug was the very first Movie I was allowed to see in the theaters and I fell in love with that car. Since then I owned a 66 and a 70 Beetle and now a 2000. Much improved over the last generation. This one has heat and air conditioning :D

What engine does your Herbie have? The 1.8 Turbo is a bit quicker than the 2.0. Also if you have the 1.8 you don't have spark plug wires but seperate coils for each spark plug called Coil on Plug. Changing them is pretty easy just make sure you get the right kind. Also I have to second everyone's concern about the timing belt service, tensioner, pulley, water pump,etc. If your car has over 75k miles on it it will be time to get those things replaced before you have a catastrophic failure. Also if it is a 1.8 Turbo you need to use a Synthetic Motoroil to prevent sludge build up on the hotter running Turbo engine. Mobil One 0W40 is a good choice or Castrol Edge 5W40 which a lot of dealerships use.
Good Luck with Herbie and just Ask if you have any questions or concerns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the 2.0 4 cyl with a 5 speed. Herbie will be going in the shop soon to have a complete tune up while I am recovering from back surgery. I do need a window modular thing I guess, whatever it is that makes the power window operate. Does anyone know the easiest way to get parts? And slightly inexpensive as well. In February I am able to spend more to fix Herbie but for now I just have to do what I can to get by til then. I'm so glad to have met so many other Bug fans, I love my Bug!

·
JYD, Peppy Pepper, Rico,
596 Posts
window regulator

Hi,

You can do the window repair yourself. There is a great HOW TO thread on this site that takes you step by step threw the process. I started with it as well and have done four of them. This is another part like the timing belt that is a must replace. When the window fails you may hear a cracking or crunching sound like glass breaking. This is the plastic clips on the window regulator. So when you buy a replacement one make sure it has the new metal clips. Then the problem will be solved. Mine broke when we were at Roswell NM. I had to prop the window up with gum and suction cups. Mine fell down and stayed there until I propped it up.
Another option is to post a thread on the org for a GTG at your place. Invite those that live in your area to come work on your car and teach you what they know. You provide food and drink and they show you how to fix your beetle. Michelle Rosa has done this many times. Good luck and make sure you look up the how to thread on here for this topic.

Good luck
Marc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts