VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,,,I am new to the site.
I live in aruba, and purchased a 1999 new beetle 2.0l about a year ago. till 2months ago I have driven it with joy..then it started to have a slight hesistation when cold,,,and now it is a full time nightmare. here in aruba there are no vw dealers, or vagcom units, so I ordered the memoscan for vw/audi. after a week I got this scanner,,but it will not communicate with my vw .
it is protocol kpw1281.
then ,from suggestions, I bought a new maf sensor, and a TB. installed them,,and no good.I checked fuel pump, fuelpump pressure,I have checked all that I could check. this is driving me crazy....there are soooo many sensors on this thing.
what the beetle does??it starts fine,,idles great . but when you hit the throttle it will hesistate and backfire.only if you go very slow on the throttle,will it go. when you drive it, it surges.it will come and go. if you stop,and drive away,,it will not react on the throttle,,it will just chuck along slowly,surging and backfiring. only if you play the throttle slowy,will you manage to get it going.
how to proceed,, I do not want to spend a fortune on sensors etc....how many sensors are there in the engine????crank/cam/temp/o2/maf/tb/etc?????????
hope someone can shed some light for me,,,highly highly appreciated.
regards
BMBok

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
surely there's a parts store with a capable scanner.

the kwp1281 WILL work, but NOT if you have an afdtermarket radio unit.

i need the codes to further diagnose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you are right,,it has a pioneer in it.no more factory radio.
what do i do now?
and,,there are lots of parts stores,,but no scanner for vw ,nor parts for vw. this all has to be ordered.
hope there are more suggestions
regards
BMB

·
Who is John Galt?
695 Posts
You might consider buying VAG COM and performing that service for others, for a modest fee, of course. VAG COM is probably the only way to get at the real cause of the problem.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
well, the kwp1281 will work if you pull the radio out.

a generic obd2 scanner SHOULD scan the car and give you p-codes, unless it's euro-spec, then it has edc15/16 and it won't give you anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx for the replies,,,
i will pull out radio tomorrow,,I have an USA new beetle, and also have the OBD2 scanner. I will run this,and post the results .hope this will clarify a lot.
right now I have the intake everything off, took the sparkplugs out.(they are originall vw,with three electrodes ),the car has over 110.000miles. the plugs look like they have never ever been changed!! good time to change plugwires and plugs,correct?
take care
BMB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, here I am again,,
tried the scanners,,, to no avail. Have to get my hands on the real VAG-COM.
put it all together, this is what happens:
when the engine is cold:
the engines starts great,,idles a bit rough,,,and smells like rotten eggs.
when trying to throttle, it hesistates bigtime. when you let it compeltely warm up,,the car becomes driveable.but you can feel it surging ,,and power is not up to what it should be.
when you let it idle,it smells a bit like rotten eggs,,,but when you just give it a itsy bitsy throttle,and keep it there,,,the engine will start to cycle from 1000 to 2000 rpms, and then back to 1000 ,,and then up to 2000 again,,,,and so it continues.
I put in a new maf sensor and TB,,so the only culprit can be the 2 oxygen sensors,, right?? I know it has one before and 1 after the catalytic converter.
if someone could give me company info where I can get these,,it would be highly apreciated.
regards
BMB

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
You may also have an air leak in any of the vacuum hoses, chaeck all the air hoses for splits or holes and firm clamping at both ends...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
think I found the problem,,,
took my fuel filter out,,,,totally plugged with sludge, gasoline in the tank was almost black! think my last fill up at the gas station was a residue fillup.what a mess.
I took the fuelpump out, and cleaned the screen, then replaced the fuel filter, I emptied the fuel tank out, cleaned the presure regulator and had the injectors cleaned.
put it all together, with fresh gasoline.
it starts up fine, idles perfect,, but I think my fuelpump vanes have suffered under the stress of sludge.
when you start the car ,,the pressure is around 20 psi,,,,,way to low. as you let the car run for 10 minutes, the pressure goes up to 30-35 psi,and the car becomes drivable.it will fluctuate in between 28 and 41 psi when warmed up . this is presure from the pump itself!!! before the regulator!
so I ordered a new pump, and also 2 new 02 sensors, as these surely also suffered from this sludge nightmare.
as soon as I get the new pump,I will post the results.
take care,,,have a great 2010
BMB

·
Registered
534 Posts
Conspiracy Theory

Here's my thoughts, the gas station attendant that filled it up last put diesel in the tank! Which kinda makes sense as diesel ignites by compression, not a spark. Here's a nice animation: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/diesel1.htm

Here's an answer on what to do from 2carpros.com Car Repair Questions Answered Free by Professional Auto Repair Technicians "Now, on to the diesel problem. Remove as much diesel fuel as possible from the gas tank and refill it with gasoline. You may have to crank the car to purge the diesel fuel out of the fuel lines. After that, it should start and run okay. There should be no damage to the engine from the diesel fuel."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
coming back to inform about my results,
well,,I got my new fuel pump and also the 2 pc 02 sensors.
replaced the fuel pump assembly,,and also the 02 sensors.
what a difference,,,,the car runs like new,,,no hiccup...nada
you could balance a coin on it side on the engine.
so far my work done?

=new maf sensor
=new spark plugs
=new oil
=new fuel pump
=new 02 sensors
=new filter and pressure regulator
=new spark plug cables
=totall cleanup tank and fuel lines
=replaced all suspicious looking rubber hoses under the hood.

the results????day and night difference.
take care ,ya all.
if more comes up ,I will be back

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Hi all.. Sorry for bringing up again the post but I have some car repair questions. Why does a beetle still backfire even after replacing some plugs wires cap and rotor and even adjusting the valves? I already did the tune up thing. What should I do? Thanks.
Did you change the coilpack?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts